Thursday, January 8, 2015

What 3 Nephi 17 Taught me about Christ

To know God and Jesus Christ is eternal life.  

John 17: 3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."  

The only way to prepare for our lives after this one, we must get to know them both.  Not just know about them but truly get to know who they are.  

Today I wanted to get to know Christ through a chapter in 3 Nephi where Christ is visiting the Americas.  Here are some things that I've learned about Christ today:

Christ is perceptive.  

After teaching the people, he perceived that they were weak and didn't understand and told them to go home, ponder, and prepare their minds for the morrow when He'll come again.  

Christ is wonderful to be around.

When he told the people that he was leaving, they looked at Him with tears in their eyes, wanting Him to tarry a little longer.  

Christ is compassionate and merciful.

Responding to their tears and faces, he said, "Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you.  Have ye any that are sick among you?  Bring them hither."  And He heals them.

Christ can see our faith.  Being around Him moves us.  

Christ only healed them, because He could see that their faith was sufficient.  He healed them each one by one until the multitude bowed down and bathed his feet with their tears.  

Christ loves the little children. 

After healing everyone, which I'm sure took a lot of energy, plus he had already been teaching them all day, he asked for the children and placed them around him.  He knelt down and prayed with and for the people.  After praying, He blessed them one by one.    

Christ loves us.  Being around Christ fills us and makes us whole.  Around Christ, we feel full of joy.  
So great were the words of His prayer that the multitude was filled with joy and astonished.  His words filled their souls.  They were overcome with joy.  

Our faith makes Christ happy.  

Rising from prayer, Christ said, "Blessed are ye because of your faith.  And now behold, my joy is full."  Isn't it wonderful that Christ rejoices because of our faith?  Our eternal progress is what makes Him happy.       

Christ isn't afraid to cry.  He feels very deeply.

Blessing the people and the children caused Him to weep.

Christ creates spiritual experiences that make a lasting impact on people.  He always does it according to faith.

Throughout all of His teachings, ministering, prayers, and the ministering of His angels, it is easy to see the impact of the experiences on Him and on the people.  He shares the experiences with them.  He is in the moment feeling, expressing, giving, loving.  He isn't afraid to open and be filled.  He isn't afraid to beckon and fill.  He trusts His Father.  And He loves us so much.    

I want to be like Him.

I love you,

Rachel  




 

1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    This is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing what you learned about Christ's character. Sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in schedules, time frames, making sure I get everything done, that I forget the importance of being in the moment of the people I am with. I love that you pointed out just how perceptive Christ is. And how deeply he cares for each individual he is spending time with. I know that I need to be better at showing my love for others- not just saying it. I need to be better at understanding how to love and how to elevate like christ does. I know that as I make the effort to draw nearer to him, all else will naturally follow. Thank you for reminding me the importance of welcoming specific elements into our lives that will invite his company.

    What a wonderful study. Thank you again for sharing :)

    Love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete