Monday, January 12, 2015

Faith in Erry Footstep

Are you ready for some amazing revelatory experiences this great day? Good. Here we go!

In this episode, Christ has just arrived in a new town, where the ruler of the synagogue, Jarius comes to him in a panic about his dying daughter. Jarius has heard of Christ's ability to heal, so demonstrating his faith, he appeals to Christ and begs him to prevent his daughter from dying. Jesus follows this distraught father, but along the way focuses on this woman that has an issue of blood and is seeking to be healed.
She touches his robe as he is passing through and ends up being cured of this issue that has haunted her life for the last 12 years. She has been waiting a long, long time for this trial to be over. And just in that moment of faith, after doing all she could do, just through touching the robe of Christ, she is healed. Christ takes the time to stop and talk with her, not only reassuring her testimony, but also letting others know that it was through her faith that amazing miracle was able to occur.
I was thinking, this whole time, what about Jarius? He had come to Christ first and was terrified that his daughter wasn't going to live. Couldn't Christ have just gone to his home first and then gone back to this other woman? Would an hour have made that much difference in her life if she'd already waited 12 years?

Then I realized something as I kept reading. Well, I realized serval things, actually. Allow me to share them with you. These experiences were opportunities to stretch the faith of both Jarius and this woman. Already knowing that Jarius had faith in Christ's ability to heal, Christ used this opportunity to further help Jarius understand Christ's true character as the savior.
After taking time to talk with the woman in the street, Christ and Jarius make their way to Jarius's home, only to be told before they arrive that his daughter is already dead. Imagine how frustrated, heartbroken, and hopeless Jarius must have felt. He had exercised his faith by coming to Christ. He had done all he knew how to at that point- and it that moment, it all seemed like it hadn't been enough. His daughter had died despite his willingness to show his faith. I would have felt hurt, betrayed, angry, confused, and probably even more- not to mention he probably felt like he had let everyone (his family and friends) down by not coming through with what he thought had been a perfect solution. He was the head of his home and congregation and probably felt like he had failed everyone, including his daughter at that point.
But Christ turns to Jarius, not telling him- Hey I can bring her back from the dead, don't sweat it! He simply reassures him with the words, "Be not afraid, only believe." Even though Christ already know the outcome, he doesn't tell Jarius all at once. He allows Jarius to start expanding his faith at this point.

They arrive at the house, surrounded by extremely distraught family members and friends, experiencing the pains of loss very rawly at this moment. Christ announces that the girl isn't dead, but sleeping- no one believes him, but he proceeds forward anyway. He takes three of his disciples with him, and only the mother and father of the girl, then proceeds to change their lives forver. He tells the girl to rise in front of everyone, and low and behold- she's back!

So why did it happen this way? Why did Christ take his time by stopping to talk with the woman who touched his robe and not prevent Jairus's daughter from dying? He totally had the power to prevent that heartache and that loss and all those other painful experiences linked with her death from happening. But why did it happen that way? I'll tell you what I learned.
Through this experience, Jarius is taught that not only can Christ heal us physically- but through the atoning sacrifice of Christ, we can live again. Because of this experience, Christ was able to foreshadow the power of his resurrection and testify of his role as the savior of the world. Jarius was able to see his true character as the Messiah, not just any other prophet acting in the name of God. Jarius asked that his daughter would live. And she did. His prayer was answered, but definitely not in the timing or way Jairus intended it to occur. Jairus's trial may have seemed unfair or impossible to get through at the time, but because of what happened, his faith in Christ as the Messiah would be powerful enough to reach everyone that he'd come in contact with (and being a religious leader, he'd be able to influence a toooon of people, I am sure).

I know that every single person on this earth will experience one form of hardship or another. I know there will be times where it feels like we are doing everything in our power to find a solution, but we keep falling again and again, to the point where we want to give up. But despite those feelings of hopelessness, frustration, and fear, I know that if we make the effort to just keep moving forward, one step at a time with faith in Christ, we are able to make it through absolutely anything. And we have the opportunity to become even stronger and even better because of our trials. I know Jesus Christ is aware of what you are experiencing. I know that your prayers are heard by a loving Father in Heaven. And I know that although His timing may seem off, or it may seem like He is not listening, He is aware of it all and He has everything planned out far better than we could have ever imagined.
Keep going, one step at a time. I know you are doing great! I love you!

Much love,
Emily

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post Emily. It was very needed. Sometimes it is hard to see where we are going or why things happen the way they do. But I definitely can see looking back since i've been home from the mission, why certain things have happened the way they have. And beautiful things have come from them. It feels like I am on a pathway to something great. I can sense some sort of changing thing within myself which is probably why I feel so off balance and stressed all the time. But I think it is some sort of big leap forward which is why I've had so much opposition on me. I love what you said about Jarius because I can see myself in that right now. Except for...I don't even know what I want from the savior. I don't know what to ask Him because it feels like He is trying to heal something in me that I can't even define! Christ is just the best. He helps us in the way we need to be helped and I'm sure because of my extreme need to define everything, He is giving me a new experience by guiding me forward without definitions. It takes a lot of trust and I am trying to learn it. Phew, God is great! Thanks for sparking all these thoughts. I sure do love you!

    ReplyDelete