To start us off this fine day, here's a few questions I had at the beginning of my study:
What can I do differently to increase my faith in jesus christ?
How can I better keep my covenants this year?
How can I increase my gospel knowledge?
I feel like I already know the basic answers, these principles are eternal: if I want to increase my faith in Christ, read about his life in the scriptures, read about his teachings and strive to APPLY them daily. Record my goals. Tell God what I want to accomplish. Let him know when I mess up. When I do well. When I'm struggling, don't be afraid to FEEL. Attend the temple as often as I can. Seek to fulfill my covenants through serving others. Attend church and renew my covenants through the sacrament. Strive to be constantly communicating with God through prayer.
DOING those simple things will draw me closer to Christ- as long as my heart is in it. Don't just do it to do it. Do it to develop a relationship with God the Father and his son.
Ask questions. STUDY. That means I have to delve deeper. That means I actually have to put forth some effort- if I just read a page to check it off my to do list, I might as well have not read it at all. Try to increase my understanding, and that means I need to live according to my understanding. Yep.
Reminds me of what Alma tells Zeezrom when they were contending in good old Ammonihah (see alma 12:10 if you wanna check out this awesome smack down). Essentially, he says what we are willing to receive, we receive. If I am more willing to learn through humility, study, faith, I will be able to get greater understanding
Back to my new testament study today- some peeps bring some kids over to talk with christ. The disciples try to brush them off, but Christ demonstrates a valuable lesson as we welcomes them into his presence:
"For of such is the kingdom of God" (the kids)
How are kids different than most adults?
-They ask questions---> seriously, they never stop asking why
-They are not afraid to learn, curious
-Keep going even when they mess up
-Trusting
-Forgiving
-Loving
This sets the stage for the next man on the scene: This dude that wants to get into heaven.
Dude: What do I have to do to inherit eternal life?
Jesus: You know the commandments, so keep them
Dude: I've done this since I was a kid, there's got to be more
Jesus: Sell your treasure, take up your cross and follow me.
Dude couldn't do it. He was willing to do the bare minimum to get to God, but when asked to give up the habits he loved, he wasn't willing to trade them in to make it back to his Father in Heaven. Rough.
Christ then turns to his disciples and says, "How hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Mark 10: 24 & 25) Seeing that his disciples are confused by his statement, he then expands that those who are more attached to their riches (or personal habits, being stubborn, PIRDE) than to spiritual matters are unable to enter into the kingdom of heaven! Why? Because, as Christ previously told us with the kidders, only those who are humble, are willing to put God first, and teachable are able to live in the presence of God the Father. Full circle.
What are my personal "riches" or earthly habits that are keeping me from more fully following Christ? If my desire is to live with God again, why is it so hard to give up habits that would prevent me from doing so. Again, the scripture comes to mind, "if ye love me, keep my commandments." How much do I love God? Do I love him enough to follow the counsel of living prophets? Do I love him enough to treat my mom and dad with respect and the rest of the 10 commandments? Do I love him enough to not settle when it comes to dating, to find someone that will uphold his covenants with willing obedience? Do I love him enough to keep the law of tithing? The law of Chastity? The word of wisdom?
Do I love the Lord with my heart might mind and strength? Do I make a conscious effort to uphold my covenants at all times and all places? Do I lovingly and boldly stand for his truth when it is being bashed or looked down on? Do I live my life in a way that I am a reflection of his love, goodness, and truth?
Honestly- no. I am not living up to all of those things right now. And that's ok. Now that I know I have work to do, through the redeeming and enabling power of Jesus Christ, I can improve. I can start fresh and receive the strength to be better bit by bit and day by day. I can become a better disciple of his- starting today. And that's all he asks- that we take it one step at a time. We're not going to be perfect. We will make plenty of mistakes along the way. But as we keep trying our best, I know that God will make up for the rest. Cute rhyming, huh?
Anyway, definitely an inspired study for sure- we were supposed to read the parable of the camel through the eye of the needle yesterday for my institute class and ended up more just discussing symbolism. Then when I sat down to study this morning, I asked my questions and asked to be led to story that would help me understand the answers I was seeking. And bam- got led here. God is good.
I definitely know that God is more than happy to help us learn, grow, and become our best selves when we show him we are willing to put forth the effort. I know He listens, that He is watching over us all. And I know He loves you!
Love,
Emily
Thanks Emily! You are wonderful. I loved the questions you asked because it caused me to reflect on myself and what I need to improve. I think sometimes I start to just go through the motions, especially with prayer, and I can notice a BIG difference between the times where I am talking to God with all my heart and throughout my day, and those times (kinda like right now) where I'm not doing so well at opening my heart. Or taking enough time to do so. I keep trying to figure out what it is exactly that causes us to do that as human beings. Why is it so easy to do that? What is it that causes me to stop talking with God so much or in the same connected way? Maybe you'll have some insights on this. I'll keep thinking about it. Anyways, thanks for your very inspired study. I love you!
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of it has to do with fear- at least it does for me anyway.
ReplyDeleteFear that I'm going to mess up, so why bother telling God I'm going to be better when I know I'm going to make a mistake right after I tell him I'm going to be better. Or that I keep telling him I want to improve and then end up doing the opposite over and over until I feel he won't believe that I will change.
Honestly, there are so many reasons that could prevent us from shutting ourselves off from Him- and I think I'm realizing just how important it is to tell Him that those feelings are there. To let Him know I am struggling and to remain accountable with my goals. I am learning that progress does not come all at once, and that it will take tons and tons of practice until the vision I have for myself just becomes a part of who I am. I think that's why it's important for me lately to write down impressions and happenings throughout the day. When I pray, I am then able to tell God about what I did well, what I can still improve on, what I'm frustrated with, etc.
I am definitely far from figuring it all out, but I know God will help me figure it out one step at a time. Just some thoughts :)