Wednesday, January 7, 2015

You Can Come as You Are

Christ, when dining with the publicans and sinners, hears the scribes and pharisees saying, "How is it that he eateth with publicans and sinners?"  Christ responds, "They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance"  (Mark 2: 15-17).

Sometimes we feel like we have to reach a certain point of progress BEFORE we can come to Christ.  Like somehow we have to earn it.  This story teaches us that we must come to Christ as the sinner.  We cannot overcome our sins alone.  We need His Atonement, and the only way to have access to it is by coming to Christ BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER repenting.  We have to choose to change and give all we have, but we need Christ to repent.

How did the woman with the bleeding problem come to Christ?  As a woman with an ongoing bleeding problem.  How did the adulteress come to Christ?  As one accused, right after the very act of sin, with a repentant heart.  She hadn't repented yet.  How were the apostles when Christ first met them?  As regular fishers and sinners.  Were they perfect?  No!  I'm sure they were great men who had integrity and used their agency pretty darn well.  However, when chosen, they were sinners too.  I love this concept.  Everyone came to Christ as they were.  Only through doing that could they repent. And only through their faith combined with the power of Christ could they become whole.

I want to change, and I can come to Christ to do so as I am.  I want to be Christ's friend, and I can do so as I am.

A friend supports the goals and causes of another.  We need to support the cause of Christ: bring all men to Him.  A good friend not only supports another with his actions but also his mind.  We need to prepare our minds with eternal truths through the study of the scriptures.  We need to make sure that the things we take into ourselves, the music, media, and other things help us to be a good friend to Christ.  A good friend listens and follows those he trusts.  We need to be obedient to Christ and our Heavenly Father.  Christ says in John 15:14 that if we want to be His friend, we better keep His commandments.  Keeping the commandments is the best way that we can come closer to and get to know Christ.

This process isn't just so that Christ can get a million friends.  He wants this because by being His friend, we can resist the attacks and temptations from Satan.  A relationship with Christ is what brings us the most joy and happiness!  Ultimately, our friendship with Christ brings us to the greatest gifts of God: eternal life.  

Christ gives His friends a promise:

"And again, verily I say unto you, my friends, I leave these sayings with you to ponder in your hearts, with this commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall call up on me while I am near--Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" (D&C 88:62-63).

His promise is for each one of us.  It brings me a feeling of hope and excitement, because this year I have the goal to feel closer to Christ, and I am actively trying to draw near unto him.  That automatically means that he will draw near unto me.  I'm seeking Him, so I will find Him.  I am asking, so I will receive.  I am knocking, and I wonder what will be opened unto me this year!  I guess we shall see.

Love,

Rachel    

   

     

1 comment:

  1. My goodness gurl!

    What a beautiful study! Thank you for the reminder that we are continually learning and changing as we come to know Christ- and that we are able to start where we are. It's so easy to forget that everyone is at a different starting point. And that it's ok.
    I am excited to see where this goal takes you and excited for the truths you'll be learning as you actively seek His companionship. You are incredible. I love you. And I love your posts!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete