Good gravy- it has been quite the last few months for us both, hasn't it? There have been an immense amount of painful experiences, hopelessness, darkness, and even defeat. But as I was reflecting on what I learned, I realized, I also experienced an incredible amount of joy, growth, and gratitude despite the challenges. I hope you feel similarly (in the aspect that there were positive instances woven into the last few months).
I think the biggest thing I have come to realize is just how much God is behind the scenes in our daily interactions. He is so aware of what we individually need (whether we want it or not), and also what those around us are in need of as well. And the amazing thing I realized is that God sets everything thing up not just to instruct, but really to teach us all internally on such an individual level! He knows one of his children may be struggling with a specific weakness or problem- so in order to help that child, He will allow another one of his children the opportunity to improve and learn something on their end, while helping the original said child. I don't know if I'm making any sense- but I feel like there are so many opportunities to learn, grow, and become the best version of ourselves if we open our hearts to what it is God is trying to teach us. Each person we meet has the ability to teach us something new. And yeah. A lot of the time, it won't necessarily be the most pleasant of experiences. In fact, many times, it will often be painful. But I feel it is honestly through the most painful moments we experiences the most change and growth. It is through the refining process of pain we are able, through the atonement of Christ, to shed our imperfections and become just a little bit better than we were.
I was reading in D&C 101 today, and oh boy, the parable of the watchtower was exactly what I needed to read. Essentially, there is a Lord. He has a vineyard. And he instructs his servants to prepare a watch tower and take care of his property. All the while, the servants are going, "What do we even need this for? Everything is fine, we aren't in any danger, this is pointless." Over and over, they keep telling themselves that there isn't a need to follow through with their Lord's commandments. And guess what happens? They git robbed. And thrown out. They done messed up.
The Lord of the vineyard chastises them, but does not punish them; he gives them a chance to reclaim the vineyard. What a great guy!
The servants then ask when everything will work out, to which he replies,"When I will; go ye straightway, and do all things whatsoever I have commanded you."
That is a lesson I really need to remember. God can see in all directions. He knows exactly how to help us out when we fall- and he even knows how to prevent us from falling. But even when we do fall, which will happen, because we are all human, He provides us with opportunities again and again to learn from our mistakes and prepare ourselves for the future. The only way to learn, most of the time, is to fail. Think about Edison. Any sports player. Nephi, even. He failed twice when trying to get the plates from God. It was only the the third time, when he completely put his trust in God that he was able to fulfill the commandment given to him by God.
"Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands;
Be still and know that I am God."
That is it. Just give it all to God. I am still working on that one. But He's got it all under control. And I'm realizing, if I keeping worrying, not only will I make myself miserable, but I am not showing my full faith in God and His plans.
I am so grateful for this last year. I definitely think 2014 has been one of the most challenging years yet, but I can honestly say it is because of God and the atonement of Jesus Christ that I am where I am today. I am grateful for the people I was able to meet last year, and for the wonderful things each one of them taught me. I am grateful for God's love and patience with my personal weaknesses and imperfections. I am grateful that He is aware of not just me, but my family, my friends, and people I don't even know. I have learned that everyone is experiencing their own individual challenge or trial. It is not our job judge. It is not our job to fix anyone. It us our job to be understanding. Be kind. Be patient. You have no idea where they've been, their desires, their struggles, or what their prayers are like. Only God does. We are here to make the journey better for each other. I want to make that my goal for this next year- enrich the journey. Not just for myself, but for everyone. And I know I am not doing it alone. I know by myself, I can't really accomplish much of anything. But with God's help, absolutely anything is possible!
I love you and I am so grateful for everything you've share with me and done for me!
Love,
Emily
Ah, Emily. I love your posts! I've missed them, but I'm excited for both of our goals to be more consistent with it. I feel like this year I will get to know Christ more like I want to. And you will enrich lives more like you want to. I have a great feeling about this year. I'm kind of nervous for it, because I feel like I have some big changes up ahead of me...for example, I'm graduating this year for goodness sake! Holy canoli, right? Anyways, I love what you said about how in the hard times we learn the most. I too have been thinking about that. For some reason, some left over wounds from some things that happened on the mission hit me really hard yesterday...things I thought I had gotten over. And it felt painful and hard and scary. But I know that it just means that I have something else to learn, to release. Another way to grow. When we apply the gospel in our lives, it does such remarkable things. I mean, come on, after your difficult year of 2014, you aren't bitter, you are hopeful. Isn't that just so cool?! Thanks for your example. I sure do love you.
ReplyDelete