Christ is the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. Isn't it cool that every man has the light of Christ? The gospel is the Word which is within Christ, and it shines, but the true Light is Christ Himself. When we have Him in our lives, we can always find at least a little bit of light. We are walking in darkness (otherwise, who needs faith?), but when as we reach out towards Him, especially through the scriptures, we will be lead by His light. I know this is true, because I have felt it. Even recently. Sometimes the darkness is so heavy that you start feeling a bit helpless or scared, like you are going to fall. Like you don't know where you are going. Like you don't know how to overcome your weaknesses and you feel acted upon rather than your own agent. But your hope can be in Christ, because He has already overcome it all. We ARE weak. We ARE fallen. Satan tries to tell us that like it is something wrong with us. Those things are necessary to grow and to achieve God's goal. Sometimes those things cause us to feel like we can't trust in ourselves to do anything. The cool thing is that we don't have to trust in ourselves! We just have to trust in Christ who has already overcome the darkness. He has already overcome our sins. He knows how to help us. He is our light. I am so grateful for Him.
Even the Son of God. Christ is the literal Son of the Father. This is so important, especially in the Old and New Testament because everyone was waiting for Him, looking to Him for their salvation. Christ is the Son of God, the One who fulfilled the prophecies, the One who descended below it all and overcame it all.
He who was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. We were created in part by Him. Isn't it crazy that we still sometimes don't know Him? Our brother? Our Savior? I know that at times I have felt distant from Him and haven't felt like I really know Him (which is why I started this study, so I could KNOW that I at least know Him a little bit more). To know Him, we can't look at things through our carnal, or worldly eyes. We must look for Him through our spiritual eyes. That is the only way to see Him for who He truly was and is.
He came unto his own, and his own received him not. I want to be trained at looking through my spiritual eyes so that when He comes again, I will know Him and receive Him and be able to look in His eyes and tell Him how much I love Him.
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, only to them that believe on his name: Ah, this is so powerful! We are sons and daughters of God. But we also must BECOME the sons and daughters of God. We must reach our potentials. The ONLY way we can do this is through receiving Christ in our lives and believing on His name. Then we will receive power to become who we truly are. To act and not be acted upon. I need this enabling power in my life right now. I need Christ's power to be able to overcome my weaknesses, fears, and anything else that may try to hold me back from reaching my true potential.
He was born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. The footnotes tie born to the Holy Ghost, so I think this part means that Christ was spiritually born of God. And through that overcame the natural man. Or something like that.
I can't believe how much you can unpack out of each phrase that describes Christ. I've had to split up this chapter into like...five parts just to get through it all. But I LOVE that, because I feel like I really am getting down to more of who Christ is. Line upon line, precept upon precept. Every time I read and write about Him, I feel more hope, more power. It rejuvenates me. It helps me feel light in my life. And I feel closer to Christ which helps me feel happy. I know that overcoming weakness and fear is a process, but as I continue to do this study of Christ, I know that God will make my weaknesses into strengths through the Atonement. I have that hope.
I love you!
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment