Sunday, January 25, 2015

Something New


Fun news! I got a new calling today. Whooot! Essentially, I have been called to be a "district leader" of sorts over 4 visiting teaching companionships. Whaaat. I have no idea what I am doing, girl. From what they told me, which wasn't a lot, I will be assisting each companionship in making their visits, checking up to see how their girls are doing, and helping in anyway that I can to help them fulfill their visiting teaching duties. Seems simple enough I suppose.

So I asked myself:
How can I wholeheartedly fulfill my calling?
What are the most important things to focus on as a leader?
What would Christ do in my situation?

What did I like about my past district leaders (or any type leader for that matter)?
-Actually cared about my emotional, physical, and spiritual well being
-listened with their heart
-inspired, encouraged, motivated
-showed their own weaknesses
-genuine
-taught me to my needs, not just what they were comfortable with or what they wanted
-bold with love- said what I needed to hear, not necessarily what I wanted to hear
-helped me introspect on my own--> taught me to find my own answers
-made lesson plans, but ultimately followed the spirit as directed

What did I not like?
-distant
-unwilling to listen with their heart
-rude, didn't think about how their reactions would affect others
-taught what they wanted to teach
-had their own desires and motivation other than my well being and the well being of those under my stewardship
-I felt like they could care less about me as a person
-telling me what to do rather then assisting me in finding the answer for myself

The district leaders- or any type of leader or teacher in my life- that had the greatest impact on me were those that I could tell loved me. They loved me despite my fears, despite my weaknesses, and my tendency to make mistakes over and over again. They were there to inspire me, encourage me, and allow me to believe in myself when I didn't have the capacity to see myself in a positive light.

Looking at what Christ says on the topic of leadership (which can be applied to any type of leadership position, no matter who you are, or where you've come from), I learned a lot more about the role service plays in any leadership position:

"But whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." (Mark 10: 43-45)

Just a quick definition for those who were unclear, as I was the difference between minister and administer:
Minister: caring for individual needs, physical, emotional, etc.
Administer: providing programs, making ordinances available to others

"Church members administer programs and ordinances, but they minister to individuals, loving them and coming to their relief. In reaching out to others, President Monson has emulated the Savior, who “came not to be ministered unto, but to minister”"
(see "The Blessings of Ministering," The Liahona, October, 2009)

The best way to help these sisters I will be in charge of is to love them. Serve them. Set an example of genuine concern, compassion, forgiveness, etc. through my daily interactions.
And I don't want this way of life to only be present in this calling. Through this calling, I want to establish a pattern of living where every single person I come in contact with, I will have the desire to enrich their life. I will not wait to be asked- I want to proactively serve others around me- be it school, church, family, friends, or people I meet in any other situation. I know that I can do absolutely anything I put my mind to with God's help.
I know He will guide me to how I can best serve these sisters that I will soon meet. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow from each one of them. I know I still have a lot to learn on this topic, but I am excited to keep learning and progressing with the help of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

Have a great Sunday!
Much love,
Emily













1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily, I love your perspective about your new calling. And it helped me renew my determination to keep giving light and love to the sisters in my ward in my own calling. I got to this point where I was just feeling burnt out and frustrated for a while that I kind of started losing the passion and love I started the calling with. I know I haven't been in it that long, but I also know the beginning is exciting and overwhelming and I haven't found the balance yet. BUT this whole process was necessary so I can learn and find that balance and figure out how to be a leader, giving all that I have, but in a replenish-able way. I hope this made sense, but thank you for your words. We are ready to minister!!!!

    ReplyDelete