But the stories I read today reminded me about the importance of putting God first, and trusting in Christ's power to help us through any situation. And when we choose faith over fear, the results are nothing short of miraculous.
In Mark chapter 6, Christ is being rejected by those he grew up with, causing him "marvel at their unbelief." He decides to seek out those whose faith will allow him to demonstrate greater miracles, and ends up attracting flocks and flocks of people who are eager to listen to his words. After a full day of teaching, the disciples tell him that they need to go into town to buy food for all these hungry folks. Christ responds, "Give them something to eat." And the disciples, somewhat sassy, reply, "What? You want us to buy two hundred pennyworth of bread?" They were probably thinking something along the lines of, "Hey, remember how we're poor fishermen? And we left our jobs to follow you? We're not exactly in the best position to finance this feast you have in mind."
Instead of rebuking them or getting angry, Christ takes this as yet another teaching opportunity and asks, "How many loaves have ye?" They show him a meager five loaves and two fish, which I'm sure to them was absolutely nothing. He tells them to organize the people and once they have done so, Christ proceeds to bless and share the food they have, "and they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men." (Mark 6:44)
Isn't that an incredible miracle? In the previous town, where Christ was surrounded by people he knew growing up, they were unable to see many miracles because of their unbelief, "and he could do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them."
With this new group of people, however, the power of God was able to provide such a massive miracle because the hearts of these people were prepared to receive such.
Not too long after this event with the bread and fish occurred Christ sent his disciples in a boat ahead of him. After a bit, seeing that they were struggling out on the ocean, he makes his way to them by walking out onto the water. As they are freaking out about the boat, and about the possibility of being haunted, Christ calls out,"Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid." Pause for a second.
That's two chapters in a row Christ tells us to not give into fear. Previously, he had told Jarius, "Be not afraid, only believe," after just hearing his daughter died. Now he's telling his disciples to resist the urge to give in to their fears. Why would he repeat these words in two different instances?
- Giving into fear can paralyze us from making decisions
- Fear can cause us to distance ourselves from God (through sin or other actions)
- Fear can cause us to harm ourselves and others
- Fear can prevent us from progressing
Also, it mentions that the disciples were "sore amazed...beyond measure and wondered. For they considered not the miracle of the loaves: for their hearts were hardened (52a or did not understand)" How often do we get so caught up in fears of the moment that we completely dismiss the times that God has previously provided for our needs? I know I do it way more often that I care to admit. But seeing that the very men that spend nearly every hour of every day with Christ still have a hard time leaving their fears behind gives me hope. I know that I can work on trusting more fully in Christ, despite all the crazy things going on if I just work on it one day and one experience at a time.
It's so important to remember that even when it seems our resources are completely gone- emotionally, physically, financially- whatever the case may be- God will help us make it work. If we are willing to put our trust in him and put our faith into action.
Faith is not a passive word. It is the ability to act on one's belief. If we are making the effort to constantly exercise and stretch our faith, there is no limit to what we can accomplish with God's help while we are here on earth. I know that I still have a ton to learn about faith and how I can better show God my faith.
Here are a few ideas to remember the daily miracles (they can be as big or small as you want them to be, it's usually in the subtle things that God works his wonders).
- Record the instances you see in your life where God has helped you out, to better recognize and remember them
- Show your gratitude to God by acknowledging His help as it comes
- Reflect on previous experiences to help you through times of fear, discouragement and trial
"And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty miracles? ... And if there were many mighty miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.
And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust. Behold I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth."
Sorry it was kind of a long entry today- my goal is to simplify- but I hope you enjoy! I love you oh so much!
Love,
Emily
Wow Emily! This post was absolutely wonderful. As you know, I am OBSESSED with the topic of fear, and the way you described how fear affects us was perfect. I know that I need to work more on replacing my fear with faith. I think sometimes I get caught up in life and start thinking...umm...where is God? And my faith is at the point where I don't doubt anymore that He is there and listening. My question now is more of like, "Okay, am I not feeling Him because of my own choices? Or is it because I am in a learning opportunity/faith growing phase?" I love your point about using past experiences to get through those moments of turmoil or fear. Because when there is a cloud and you can't feel God that strongly, you can use those moments where you have to use your faith during the trial. And overcome your fear step by step. That was a good reminder because I've been feeling like I need to look over mission stuff. I think it is time. The question is...when will I make time for it? I'm working on simplifying my life, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the thoughts. I sure do love you! (P.S. I'm going to get back into my morning blog posts again...my habit didn't last long ha ha. But luckily we can always try again).
ReplyDelete