Holy canolis!
I just had a wonderful study this fine day. I was reading in Mark, chapter 2, where Christ keeps himself busy healing some sick guys, allowing lame guys to walk, you know, those amazing miraculous happenings he is so inclined to take a part of- and I was able to find some great answers to my questions today. I was thinking about what more I can do this year to be a better disciple of Christ. How can I make the world a better place? How can I strengthen my community? How can I enrich the lives of my family and friends? And how can I change myself to influence all those other factors?
As I read about the first story in Mark chapter 2, about the man with palsy, I was struck by the faith of the group of men that brought him to Christ. Obviously, this man's friends had enormous personal faith in Christ, otherwise, they would not have made the effort to bring him to Christ in the first place. They attempt to bring their crippled friend into the building where Christ is preaching so he can be healed, but there are so many people there that the door is blocked. Does that stop them? Nope. Sure doesn't. They try another way. They make the effort to lift their friend onto the roof, which I am sure is not an easy task, then proceed to lower him down into the room. These amazing men realize the importance of bringing their friend to Christ. They realize their friend does not have the ability to make it on his own. And they realize they cannot individually accomplish bringing their friend to Christ- they need to work as a team. But before they can do any of that- they first had to gain their own testimony. Isn't that awesome? Once we know Christ for ourselves, our natural desire will be to do all we can to serve and help others around us come to him.
Throughout the chapter, the pharisees are criticizing Christ for spending time with sinners, for making statements that he is able to heal and forgive, along with just about anything else you can think about complaining about. Another reason Christ is my hero- I would have flipped out about 20 times at them at this point. But instead of snapping at them each time they criticize him, he makes each instance into a teaching opportunity.
These Pharisees though, they are going solely off of what they see on the outside. They have no idea what any of these people are going through or what they are doing to come to Christ. They're so wrapped up in the do's and don'ts that they have completely missed the meaning behind the commandments within the gospel. I know I have been there before. And good gravy- it is a terrible place to be. But Christ reminds them what truly matters throughout the chapter.
Towards the end, Christ and his disciples are strolling through a corn field, picking some shucks to eat. Some local pharisees flip their little lids, asking, "why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?" What a bunch of ninnies. But how often do we all fall into this trap? Worried about how other people are keeping (or not keeping) the commandments the way WE understand them? I feel that is something we are all guilty of, in one way or another. But what Christ says next really help me realize something great. I will tell you in a moment, here's his response:
"Wherefore the Sabbath was given unto man for a day of rest; and also that man should glorify God, and not that man should not eat; for the son of man made the sabbath day, therefore the son of man is Lord of the Sabbath." (JST Mark 2:26&27)
It is not about what I think Johnny should be doing on the sabbath. It is not about worrying whether or not I'm doing what Jill thinks I should be doing on the sabbath. It doesn't matter what other people are or aren't doing, or how they view what I'm doing. It's between me and God.
The Sabbath is a day where I am able to rest from the stresses and normal activities of day to day life. Does that mean it's bad if I need a nap? No. Does it mean that it's bad if I want to watch a movie? No. But I am coming to realize that I can do more to show my love and gratitude for God. And that's not how everyone has to do it. It's how I want to do it. And that is a ok. I think the question to ask ourselves is- what does this (insert principle or commandment here) mean to me? And how can I better live in a way where it is drawing me closer to God rather than feeling like a do or don't do.
What the sabbath means to me is it's a day where I can focus my heart and energy on God, and on my savior, Jesus Christ. A day where I can choose to do the things Christ would do, like reaching out to those who may be struggling, writing letters, visiting someone who needs company, etc. It doesn't have to be big. It doesn't have to change the world. But I can be the change I want to see. I am realizing that the more fully I live the commandments with a willing heart- the more I will be filled with a desire to help others around me. I will be more prone to listen, to understand, to love, and to serve. I want to make it one of my goals this year to focus on how I can more fully give my heart to God, and by doing so, be a positive force in this crazy world. Because it is not all rainbows and unicorns. And we all need help every now and then. Yes indeed. We sure can't make it alone.
I know that I still have heaps and heaps to learn, and that I will not get it all at once. And I know despite my weaknesses and repeated mistakes, God will help me learn what I need to in this process, as well as hopefully helping others along the way. I am excited to keep expanding my understanding of the gospel, of life, and of my relationships with others while I am here on earth. And I am grateful for you!
Much love,
Emily
This was a super cool study! Holy cow, I loved it. The story of the men who took their friend to Christ made me realize something I've never noticed before. They were trying to get to Christ through a typical everyday way that normally works, like going to His house and trying to get through the door. But that didn't work for them in that moment. So they had to be creative and get to Him from the roof and through working together. I realized that that is what I'm supposed to do this year. I'm doing the typical ways of getting to know Christ (meaning keep the commandments). But for some reason, I feel like I need to take another step to get to know Jesus Christ. (through music and other things that may pop up). Sometimes we do have to use our creativity to help other people and ourselves get closer to Christ. Anyways, it was a cool thought about the power of creativity that I wanted to share. Alli got your art today. She cried. It was important and meaningful. And she said, "Emily is so talented." It is true. You are helping people through your creativity. You are amazing and a force for good! Love you.
ReplyDelete