Here is a little thought I learned from The Infinite Atonement today:
When Adam fell, him and Eve were cast out of the garden which is the first spiritual death. They were cast out of the presence of God. Because Christ atoned for our sins, we all have the opportunity to go back to the presence of God. That means ALL of us. Every single person, whether they obeyed or didn't in this life, will go back to the presence of God AFTER the resurrection. For at least a time. We need our physical bodies and spirits to be reunited again in resurrection in order to be able to be in the presence of God again. Those who obey will get to stay. Those who didn't obey will go through a second spiritual death and be cast out of the presence of God yet again. We can be in the presence of God even though we aren't fully clean (because we'll need to be judged), but we can't DWELL with God. The Atonement enables EVERYONE to have the chance to be in the presence of God again, no matter what. Whether or not we dwell there is up to us.
This knowledge makes the experience of Alma the Younger even more powerful. If you think about it, just like we will remember all our sins and guilt as we are judged before God, Alma was faced with all his sins. He wanted to hide or die or something to get away from the awfulness that tormented his soul in that moment. But then he remembered what his father had said about Christ and the atonement. Even just the thought of Christ was a balm to his soul and he had a change from wanting to escape from the judgement of God to longing to dwell with Him. His soul wanted eternal life.
I love Jesus Christ. He enables healing. No matter what we have done or who we have been, we can change through Him. He died for everyone. We all will have the opportunity to be in front of God. I want to know that I can face Him and know that throughout my life, even though I've been imperfect, I've talked to Him about it in prayer. I haven't hidden my weaknesses and sins. Instead, I've consulted with Him about how to overcome them and tried to listen to what He has told me to do. I feel like that is the way to stand before God at the end of this life. No one will be perfect, but our relationship we have developed with God through prayer and actions will make a difference in how we feel before Him. I want to make sure that I'm open with Him and so when I stand before Him, I know that I've already worked through things with Him throughout my life. I've tried with faith. Tried to listen with Him. And none of it will have been perfect, but knowing how loving Heavenly Father is, imperfect action paired with a lot of faith is enough.
Just remember to not be too hard on yourself my friend. We all struggle with weaknesses, sometimes for many many years. I know I am right now. Things I've tried to overcome for many years. But I know I can do it in Christ, and that I also have to accept the process of it all. I sure do love you!
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment