How do I take care of everyone in my stewardship without burning myself out?
How can I show them I care for them, make them feel special?
How do I live in the moment, while trying to balance so many things at once (school, calling, etc)?
I want to do well at school, visiting teaching, checking in with the girls I oversee, and with my friends and family. There isn't time for everything. Learn how to prioritize. Learn how to say no. How does Christ prioritize? How does he help each individual feel special?
In Luke chapter 5, I was reading about when Christ first encounters Peter and some of the other disciples. He boards on of the ships, telling them to launch out a little further and lower their nets. They reply that they have been fishing all night with no luck, but are willing to give it one more try. Once following Christ's directions, they are astonished at the results! They are able to catch so much that their nets break! Peter is scared that he wouldn't be enough, or that the Christ wouldn't want to be around him once he realizes his weaknesses and mistakes, he tells Christ to leave, for he is a sinful man. Christ tells him:
"Fear not, from henceforth thou shalt catch men."
Peter doesn't understand his own potential. He has no idea the source of light, hope and truth he will become when he meets Christ this first time. But Christ does. Oh! And this reminds me of what you were saying about getting a taste of the cake from God- Christ was giving them a piece of that cake, letting them know how amazing they could be with his help. Showing them that miracle was just a taste of what was in store for each of them! Back to the story-
Did Peter's weaknesses stop Christ from loving him No. Did they stop Christ from inviting him to change and grow? Nope
And just thinking of all the times Peter messes up:
- Denying Christ three times after Jesus gives him the heads up
- Cuts off the ear of one of the guards (going against Christ's teachings)
- Chooses fear over faith when walking on the water
- Gets rebuked by Christ when he states Christ doesn't have to die for us
- Falling asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane when asked him and other disciples to stay awake and pray with him
- Reverting back to his old life when he thought Christ was gone forever
But holy cow. Wouldn't that be frustrating, both for Christ and for Peter to have to endure so many imperfections? Why would Peter want to keep trying when he kept messing up? And why would Christ continue to invite him closer? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was Peter's mistakes and imperfections that allowed the amazing loving bond to grow between him and Christ.
Christ recognized that he had those weaknesses. And he also recognized the incredible potential that could result in those weaknesses being tested over and over.
I cannot imagine how frustrating and disheartening it would've been to be Peter in those moments of weakness. What kept him going? Why didn't he give up on himself? Because Christ focused on who he was to become, and how he decided to react to his weaknesses and trials.
And I feel that Christ's love for Peter is all the deeper because he knew that he was trying so hard, despite all those imperfections and weaknesses. He knew what Peter was to become because Peter would choose to rely on Christ's atonement to turn those weaknesses into strengths. And in turn, Peter's love for the savior continued to deepen as he realized that Christ accepted him despite his imperfections.
Christ's love for each of us is so perfect that he knows exactly how to help us overcome our weaknesses. He loves us so much that he will allow us to struggle. He loves us so much that he will be stern when needed, and gentle and compassionate when appropriate. He wants us to learn to govern ourselves, binding ourselves to him through love and willing obedience. Only through whole heartedly relying on His grace and mercy, can we become the amazing, incredible beings he knows we are destined to become. It is our imperfections and weaknesses that have the ability to draw us nearer to him like nothing else.
I know that He is so proud of you, and each of us for giving it our best, despite how weighed down we may feel from our inadequacies. I know that I can be like Peter and choose to believe in myself, because of my faith in Christ. I know I will continue to make mistakes over and over, but like Peter, I can choose to learn from them and become the best version of myself through Christ.
I love you so much!!
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment