Both yesterday in Sunday school, and today in my personal study, I was able to read about the Sermon on the mount. Yesterday was Matthew 5 & 6, today, I was reading in Luke 6 (if you want to cross examine or what have you).
Questions to ponder: Are you living the law? More importantly, are you living the gospel?
How do I improve my personal relationship with Christ? How do I help others develop their own relationship with him? I feel like I have very little patience for those who blatantly disregard the things that will help them most. But hey, I do that too. And I know it frustrates the people that love me most. How do I accept and honor other people's agency? How can I be more patient when they are struggling or refusing to live a gospel principle?
Well, let's take a look at how Christ does it. He takes every opportunity to be a teaching moment. He doesn't care
if it offends or pushes people away, because he knows the most important
thing is to help those around him come closer to the Father.
Knowing that there were plenty in the synagogue in this experience that are looking for excuses to trip him up, Christ asks a question before healing someone on the sabbath:
"Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?" (9)
This infuriates the Pharisees and shakes a lot of other people up. They are unable to hear or understand the gospel because that are too wrapped up in the daily rules. They do not understand the why.
Focusing on the do's and don'ts really puts a damper on the mind and truly understanding the purpose behind the gospel. I think that when I get so wrapped up in the commandment itself, and forget the purpose behind, I tend to be way more judgmental of how other people are living, I tend to be less happy and I don't progress as well as I want to.
Christ, however, was compassionate on his disciples. He spoke the truth, unashamed, not flinching, and trusted they would be emotionally stable enough to handle and eventually understand what he needed to tell them. He knows that everyone has different growing rates, that each person will come when they are ready to receive what he has to offer.
Later in the chapter, he goes to a mountain to draw closer with God, spiritually recharge, and while there, is followed by a multitude of people. And here you have the wonderfully amazing Sermon on the Mount:
"Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now. for ye shall laugh."
Poor in spirit= humble, teachable, ready to serve, allow other to serve
At the temple this week, I got a distinct impression that we are supposed to fulfill God's work together. The image of the honeybees that Elder Ballard spoke of a couple conferences ago flashed across my mind. Yes, we work as individuals, but we need to also have the capacity to work together to assist in the Lord's work.
Remember the story of Nephi? He had every right to go off on his own in the wilderness when Laman, Lemuel, and even his dad were complaining and not wanting to proactively do anything to change their circumstance. They were done. And honestly, if I had been Nephi, I probably would have been done at that point too, not just due to lack of food, but because of the intense negativity and stubborness of the family. But because of Nephi's faith in Christ, he was able to change his circumstance, and in the process, involve his family in progressing together as well.
Back to Christ, "Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you...
...For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend hoping for nothing again; and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive and ye shall be forgiven...For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured you again.
Why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam, that is in thine own eye?
Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.
For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit." (Luke 6:27-34)
I really needed this message today. I am realizing that I definitely have so much to improve on, in areas that I considered strengths, and also in areas that I am already fully aware are weaknesses of mine. I know that I have a tendency to focus on other's weaknesses and faults, to a point where I am focusing so much on helping other people try to overcome their weaknesses, that I forget about taking care of the many beams in my own two eyes. I know that as I individually strive to adjust my own shortcomings and imperfections with Christ's help, my perspective will be broadened, my capacity to love and forgive will expand, and I will be able to come closer to Christ myself, as well as help others along the way. I know that Christ loves each and every one of us. I know he understands our desires, our hearts, and our capacities. And I know that his love for us is focused on all of us. Our strengths, weaknesses, and who we can become. There is no limit to what we can do or how we can become through his help.
I love you so much!
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment