Today I read the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, found in Luke, chapter 16. In this story, Lazarus spends his life covered in sores, miserable, no food, water, or any possessions to call his own. He waits outside a building everyday just for the rich man to drop crumbs for him to eat. After this life though, Lazarus is found with Abraham while the rich man is tormented with the pains of hell.
What did I get out of this parable?
- Don't go off appearances- those who are content with what they have, who are unwilling to share and grow, and are "rich in the things of the world" may have it all taken away after this life (depending on the condition of their heart).
- Would I rather be "rich" according to the world's standards or "rich" according to the Lord?
- Do I want momentary, tangible happiness right now or do I want eternal joy?
- I don't know about you, but I'll take the joy any day.
- Don't be distracted by what it seems like other people might have that I don't have
- Take time to visit with others, contribute to their well being, and share what I've been given while I am here
Sounds kinda harsh- but that is the law of restoration right there, otherwise known as karma. Reading this story reminded me of when Alma was talking with his son, Corianton about every person's need to remain accountable and repent:
"Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again."
"For that which ye do send
out shall return unto you again, and be restored..." (Alma 41:14&15)
This is incredible. Because God is a just God, every single person will be held accountable for their actions here on this earth. Any pain, suffering, they may have intentionally or unintentionally afflicted will be addressed. Those who were affected by the selfish and cruel actions of others will be recompensed for any misdeeds or trespasses done to them. And because God is also merciful, through the conditions of repentance, thanks to the atonement of Christ, we have the opportunity to change our natures, circumstances, and eternal destination.
There are so many circumstances that are out of our control while we are here on this earth. I know that no matter what happens, as we trust in God and in Christ, and do everything we can to live up to our covenants, no matter how many times we fail, no matter how imperfect we are while here on earth, we will be judged according to our hearts.
And the only person's heart I am accountable for is my own. What a relief, I must say. I am so grateful that Christ chose to sacrifice his life so that I can be free to act for myself. I am so grateful that because of him, I can trust that both justice and mercy will be satisfied after this life. I know that although things may not always go the way we want them to, but as we chose to learn from each experience and become like Christ during the process, we will be prepared to be "received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where [we] shall rest from all [our] troubles and from all care, and sorrow." (alma 40:12)
It matters what we do with our time here on earth. It matters how we treat each other. It matters that we choose to reach out, to love, to lift, to inspire. It helps us become more like our Father in Heaven, like our savior Jesus Christ, and allows us to be prepared to live with them again. Now is the time we have to change. Isn't that awesome? And it doesn't all have to be at once. Just baby steps, one day at a time.
I sure do love you and I hope you have a wonderful week!
Love,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment