Just to fill you in, Sir Alma the younger has just given up his judgement seat position to dedicate his time to preaching dat gospel. He's had a ton of success- people incredibly receptive to the teachings of Christ and he was able to see immediate results of his labors. 3 Cities in a row, he had people excited to change and start fresh in Christ- I bet he was elated! Then, God instructs him to go to his next assignment: Ammonihah, trip. Eager to do as the Lord asks, Alma makes his way over to said city. Once he starts preaching, however, things start taking a turn for the worst. Alma chapter 8 states "Satan had gotten a great hold on the hearts of the people; therefore they would not hearken unto the words of Alma." People recognize him- possibly by reputation, possibly even from way back in the day before he turned to Christ. And instead of hearing him out or politely declining his message, they tell him he has no business in their city, then "reviled him and spit upon him and cast him out of their city."
Can you imagine the confusion, anxiety, and heartbreak Alma must have been experiencing? He decided to press forward and preach in a different city, "being weighed down with sorrow, wading through much tribulation and anguish of soul, because of the wickedness of the people who were in the city of Ammonihah...[when] behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto him, saying:
Blessed art thou, [insert you name here]; therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God...And behold, I am sent to command thee that thou return to the city of Ammonihah, and preach again unto the people of the city; yea, preach unto them."
Heavenly Father must have been so proud of his son, Alma. He's seen the changes he's made in his life, He's watched him faithfully keep the commandments and continue to faithfully obey His commands. God recognizes that Alma is in bad shape emotionally and mentally, and He takes the time to deliver a personal message to lift him. God reminds Alma of the good he has done, reminds him that he is not doing anything wrong, and let's him know that this task is possible by commanding him to return. Alma gets the strength he needs to move forward and accomplish God's will- and I loved this next part: "And he entered the city by another way."
I love that Alma has the faith to keep moving forward, despite the opposition he is facing. And because he was willing to do as the Lord asks him, he is led to the most excellent companion- Amulek!! Combined, they make the most spiritually unstoppable force ever!! I think my favorite part of this story is that if you keep moving forward in faith, you will not have to accomplish God's will alone. He will send you angels, both in this world, as well as the other side of the veil, and he will guide you to specific people that need your help and you need theirs as well. He's got it all planned out. We just have to trust in His timing and His will. Easier said that done- But it sure is the truth.
Much Love,
Emmaline
Holy cow, I needed to read this today. Thanks for your words. Sometimes it is so hard to trust in the timing of God. I think the hardest part for me is knowing what to do while I'm waiting for His timing...when I know what the goal is, but I don't exactly know how to get there. That is the boat I'm in. The I know where I'm supposed to go, but I just don't know how You want me to get there...But just like you said, we can be like Alma and keep obeying, just keep walking, using the revelation we have already received, trusting that all will be well as long as it is according to God's will. I sure do love you!
ReplyDelete