Thursday, October 30, 2014

All That He Requires of You

Ever stop to think about just how amazing God is? Sometimes, I honestly forget to think about everything He has done and everything He continues to do for the good of each one of his children. I was reading in Mosiah today- and boy oh boy do I sure love that king Benjamin though- and he's got some pretty dang great words of wisdom, if I do say so myself.

He reminds us that God has given us our bodies, that He is the father of our spirits and the reason for our very existence. King Benjamin also teaches of the plan of salvation, and if not for God providing us a savior, we'd all be toasted. "If ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another- I say, if you should serve him with all your whole souls yet yet would be unprofitable servants.
And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments."

For all the things He constantly does for us daily, and all throughout eternity, that's really not too much to ask. And really thinking about it, everything He commands us to do only benefits us. The commandments allow us peace and the ability to more fully feel His presence in our lives. They help us understand His will, they physically and spiritually protect us- and most importantly, they help us prepare to become like Him. Honestly- it is all about us. God doesn't do anything for Himself- His sole purpose is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. Think about that- I know I don't  enough. His WORK. His GLORY. His eternal joy- is making sure I have the opportunity to one day live with Him again. And that is His mindset for every single one of His children. He wants us all to have the opportunity to make it. And His love is so pure, so deep, and so understanding of each one of us, He has it all mapped out so that each of His children will end up in a state where they are comfortable. He knows not everyone will want to do and become what is required to live with Him- but He still wants them to be happy. Isn't that amazing? He is thinking about everyone!! Not just those that did "what they were supposed to"- but every single one of us. I know I want to do all I can in my life to live with Him again. And I want to better understand my role in the lives of my friends and family that will allow me to help them have that same desire.

I've been thinking about how I can better understand my role in other's lives- and my answer came in chapter 4 of Mosiah. If we personally understand our relationship with God, then these feelings will naturally follow: "If ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, I would that ye should retain in rememberance the greatness of God and your own nothingness and his goodness and longsuffering towards you...
...and if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge which is just and true. And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably...and ye [shall teach your children] to love one another, and to serve one another. And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor: ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need...
...I would that ye should impart of your substance...and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength."

So what does God expect of us? To keep his commandments, which will lead us to remember Him, His plan, His love, and His mercy in our lives. By doing so, He promises to fill us with His love for each of His children, and that we will have the capacity to care for those around us. On our own, I know this is true, we will end up exhausting ourselves- but as we are diligent in remembering God in our own lives, we are given the power to help those in need all around us. I know that I really am nothing without God. I know that He has done so much for me, and I know honestly, there are times I really don't deserve His patience and love. But I am so so grateful that He loves me despite my mistakes, weaknesses, and imperfections. I am grateful that He has provided Jesus Christ to help me change and to allow me the chance to start over (A LOT) and become more like Him. And I know that as I keep His commandments and the covenants I have made with Him, He will allow me the opportunity to help others realize those same truths for themselves. All He requires is that I keep his commandments to the best of my ability. I won't be perfect all at once, but my heart is all he requires.

I love you oh so so much!
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment