Monday, September 21, 2015

Spirit Study

How do I deepen my own testimony of the gospel? Where am I right now? Am I comfortable? What can I do differently to draw closer to the spirit? How can I improve my relationship with God/Christ/others around me?

John 16 "For if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." (7)

Christ was taught by the spirit. He in turn, understands that he is not the one to convert us to his gospel- the spirit is the one and only converter. Christ recognizes that even he, the greatest teacher (in human form) doesn't have the capacity to reach everyone. We have to be willing to receive the spirit and what it wants to share with us. We must be willing to let the spirit into our hearts in order for it to communicate with us fully and effectively.

How does the spirit teach?
Let's take a look at one example in 1 Nephi 11:
Interactive learning- the spirit tells Nephi to look and observe serveral times (verses 8,12, etc)
Asks questions "Nephi, what beholdest thou?" (verses 2,4,10,14,16, etc)
Enables the learner to teach (as part of the question technique)
Allows us to act rather than be acted upon. Pretty great guy if you ask me

Christ recognizes this is the best way to invite people to learn of his gospel. That's why he teaches in parables and has us read, pray, attend church, the temple, etc. It is all about helping each of us learn on our own level.

"Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name, he will give it unto you." (John 16:23)
"Ask and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full."

These things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

So if I want to know how I can better my relationship with God and Christ, I need to:

  • Take time to think about what it is I want to learn
  • Write down any questions or thoughts I have (writing helps me remember)
  • Ask specific questions through prayer
  • STUDY the scriptures
    • Take notes
    • Write down ideas and impressions as I get them
    • Stop and think instead of just plowing through
  • Think about my questions throughout the day
  • Ask other people their insights on the matter
  • Pay attention in church and at the temple
There are so many different ways that we are taught by the spirit- find what works for you! What might prevent someone from receiving answers through the spirit/block someone from developing a closer relationship with God and Christ?

  • Shame from mistakes
  • Embarrassment for not knowing already
  • Not believing an answer will come
  • Being afraid of the answer
  • Being afraid you already know the answer, but it's not the one you want
  • Laziness
  • Don't know what to do
  • Not feeling worthy enough/inadequate  
Improving my relationship with God and Christ through the spirit will help my own personal life, as well as those around me. Lift where I stand and allow the spirit to become an even larger part of my life. A brief, but powerful study today. I am excited to apply what I am learning and hope you have a wonderful week!

Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment