How can I better align my actions with my words? How can I make lasting changes that will draw me closer to Him? And how can I treat others with this same respect and love? Telling AND showing. Show and tell, if you will.
"Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men." (Isaiah 29:13)
So where does it all start?
- Recognizing our love should always be directed at God first, then we will naturally love our fellow man
- Saying you want to change and actually putting those words into action are two different things
- Fear of man separates our heart from God
- Work on our relationship individually with Heavenly Father and Christ=all else follows
- Being grateful for our own circumstances allows us to have joy in the success of others
How do I SHOW God my love for Heavenly Father?
-TALKING with Him through prayer
-Taking time to read the scriptures
-Recording my day (drawing a picture or writing)
-Asking for help/receiving it
-Asking who I can help
-Gratitude- saying thank you to Him and everyone else around me
-Turning outward and looking for opportunities to serve - GIVING BACK
I think that is one that I want to work on-giving back. Or paying it forward. Whatever you want to call it. I get so wrapped up in school, work, and other areas of life that I forget to pay attention to my family, friends, and strangers around me that may need a little something extra, like a smile, someone to listen to them, or what not. I know more often than not, no matter how perfect or happy someone may appear, there is usually something else going on underneath the surface. I have learned that through my own trials, as well as observing friends and loved ones through out my life.
So what am I going to do with what God has taught me?
How am I going to show Him I love Him for all He has done for me and all He has helped me with? I feel focusing more on gratitude for what I have, for who is in my life, and paying it all forward is a great place to start.
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansions above
That just popped into my head- I feel like it adequately sums up what I'm feeling right now. If we humbly let God know that we are willing to serve, He will guide us to those who need our light and also guide us to those we need. I know that He is mindful of everything we are feeling and experiencing. I know that we all have the capacity to feel His love because each of us matters to Him. I know that as we show our love for God through our words and actions, we will be allowed to help others around us through their journeys. It's not just about us as individuals- it's about us all as individuals of the human family. We are here to help each other out and make this journey all the better for it.
I don't know if you've seen Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl at all (it is a beautiful movie, I highly recommend it!!) but I watched it again recently and loved so many of the messages it shared. One of my favorites was the transformation that takes place through service. I don't want to give too much of the movie away- so I'll just say that I was deeply moved by the role service played in the protagonist's life as the movie unfolds. I also loved that it stressed the importance of human connection. We can try all we want to numb ourselves through various methods in order to avoid pain and heartache- whether it's hiding behind humor, pretending like we don't care, keeping up appearances, or whatever our shield may be- but we are meant to be connected. And when we take the time to do so, yes, there will be times where it is so painful all we can do is run away, or react irrationally, but the changes that come from making deep, lasting, and loving connections is all worth it. Even if it only lasts for a short time.
I am so grateful for all that Heavenly Father has done for me in my life. I'm grateful for the people I've met, the experiences I've had, for the lessons He has taught me. I love you and hope you have a terrific Tuesday!
Much love,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment