Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Lessons from the Law of Tithing

A lot of crazy stuff has been happening as of late. And holy canolis, I am learning a ton. Yes indeed. For one thing, I am learning just how important it is to be grateful in any circumstance. Gratitude has the power to transform our mindset from "why me" or "everything is awful and hard" to helping us see the wonderful people, skills, opportunities and surroundings that we already have. Another thing that I am learning again and again is the important of living within my means- not just financially, but it many other areas of life as well. I feel like if we start with gratitude for the things we have (while still maintaining a vision of where we'd like to get to), we will be more able to appreciate what we've already got, and in turn use what we have to its fullest. If we don't take care of what (or who) we already have in our lives, how are we going to manage more if and when it comes?

Choose to be grateful now. Choose to appreciate now and not get stuck in waiting for something else to make us satisfied with our lives.

I'll just jot down some thoughts and notes from Elder Bednar's, "Windows of Heaven" talk from October of 2013.

Principles of the law of tithing:
*Living within your means
*Living and maintaining life on a budget (prioritizing people, time, activities, etc)
*Gratitude
*Allowing others to serve as well as serving
*Bringing it all back to God

Significant but subtle blessings (may not initially notice)
Malachi: prove the Lord, live the law, the windows of heaven will be opened so there won't even be any room to receive them blessings

1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Dictionary: Discern: perceive or recognize, distinguish, detect, notice, observe, see

Windows allow natural light into a building (patterns of light) gradual, sudden, etc

(Ether 12:19) "Saw with their eyes the things which they had beheld with an eye of faith..."
Eyes of faith= faith is not a perfect knowledge, so eyes of faith indicate ability to move forward with hope, vision, and diligence even without knowing the outcome (believing the outcome is attainable)
 ACT and change our circumstances rather than be acted upon

Do more with less
Prioritize and simplify
Take care of what I have already acquired

What have I already acquired?
-Great family- mom and dad want the best for me
-supportive family and friends
-Really great ward
-two hands, all ten fingers, two eyes to see all the people, mountains, rain, trees, leaves, clouds, grass, reds, blues, yellows, greens, ears to listen to music, laughter, voices, hair, a beautiful face, lovely voice to sing with- so much for to be grateful for!

"The blessing that comes to us through the Heavenly windows may be greater capacity to change our own circumstances rather than expecting our circumstances to be changed by someone or something else."

Armies of Helaman- granted power to defeat enemy despite small numbers
-ask for success--> granted physical and mental stamina

Record daily
Write down God's hand in my life. Acknowledge His mercy, His blessings, and all He does through prayer, openly communicate with Him. Write down thoughts and impressions. ACT on them.

Those are just some thoughts that came into my mind as I read this talk. I'm really grateful for the chance I have to start fresh each day. I'm grateful that I have so many wonderful people in my life that are willing to help me out when I need it. I'm grateful for the capacity I'm developing to reach out to others as I work through my own struggles and issues one day at a time. I know that Heavenly Father and Christ are there with us as we learn on our individual journeys every day. I want to be better at taking time to notice all the wonderful things in my life. I am grateful to be here. I hope you have a great day!

Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment