Thursday, September 17, 2015

Commandments and the Feels

Why do we keep the commandments?

Law of tithing, law of chastity, word of wisdom, prayer, reading scriptures, keeping the sabbath day holy, etc.

"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." John 15: 10,11

Christ tells us what the commandments are and that if we live by them, as intended, not just as a to do list, the joy of the gospel, the light of Christ will more fully be present within us. What does that mean to me?

I feel like joy is far greater and far deeper than just happiness. Happiness to me is simply being satisfied with the moment, but allowing other emotions to take over at a moment's notice. Happiness to me is a surface emotion. But joy on the other hand, is something far greater. It doesn't mean that you are smiling all the time, like I picture when I hear the word happy. Joy indicates gratitude, serenity, peace, and overall acceptance of your life regardless of your surrounding circumstances. Despite all the crazy things that happen to us all, when we are joyful, we are grateful for what we have and who we have in our lives, no matter how much or how little that may be. We have the capacity to express that gratitude to others around us even if we are struggling. Christ's joy enables him to feel with others. It allows him to connect with the people around him, whether it's lifting them up when they are struggling, crying with them, teaching them, correcting them, or just being with them in a positive way.
The joy of the gospel enables us to live whole heartedly (if you haven't noticed, I am quite obsessed with Brene Brown, so if you want to look more into whole hearted living, check out her book, "Daring Greatly"!!). We are able to experience all life has to offer us. We will still feel sorrow, pain, anger, disappointment, fear- the whole spectrum of emotions- but that doesn't mean we are doing anything wrong. We are living. Our joy is full when we embrace all aspects of the gospel, like living the commandments with an honest heart. Does that mean we'll be perfect? Heck no! We're going to make mistakes over and over and over and over and over! But with Christ's help, we have the power to gradually change over time (or even instantly, depending on the situation). Honestly, anything is possible. Some habits will be easier to change than others, but that doesn't mean we should give up when it's taking a little longer.

I know there are a lot of changes I need to make and some readjusting in my own life in order to get to where I want to be, but I know I am making progress one day at a time. I love my mistakes. I love where I am, where I've been, and where I'm going. I love that Christ will continue to help me as I live whole heartedly, no matter how many times I stumble.And I love that with Christ's help, I can be grateful for any circumstance. I can dance in the rain, as well as in the sunshine. I can appreciate the best as well as the hardest of times. I hope all is well with you and that you have a lovely week!





No comments:

Post a Comment