Friday, June 5, 2015

Righteous Suffering Brings About Spiritual Change

The Infinite Atonement states that one of the things we receive from the Atonement is the blessing of motivation.  This concept has my mind spinning.

I understand that the fact that Christ died for us motivates us to assure that his suffering was not in vain.  It also motivates us to change after we have already committed a sin, because we know someone has already walked the path.

But then Callister explains how its motivational power works...and this is what is hard for me to grasp.

He says that what creates this motivational power is the "compelling power that flows from righteous suffering--not indiscriminate suffering, not needless suffering, but righteous, voluntary suffering for another.  Such suffering for another is the highest and purest form of motivation we can offer to those we love."  

Wait...what?  Suffering is what causes motivation?  Doesn't this seem a little self-destructive?

But THEN he goes even further and says that fasting works by this same principle.  We deny ourselves of something, we suffer, which creates a redemptive opportunity or motivational power for someone else as well as ourselves.  Suffering with a purpose.  Isn't that interesting?!

He refers to the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis, who when the wicked came to kill all of them, bowed themselves to the ground in submission to God's will.  They suffered.  Many died.  But because of their suffering, "more than a thousand [were] brought to the knowledge of the truth; thus we see that the Lord worketh in many ways to the salvation of his people" (Alma 24:24-27).

Sometimes suffering is necessary in order to bring about salvation.

This principle reminds me of the mission.  Missionaries go through so much in order to help that "one soul" come unto God.  I felt sometimes that we had bad days because in a strange way, we were suffering FOR the people.  We were experiencing hardship and exercising faith so that the people around us would receive the spiritual boost they needed or opportunities to repent.

I had never read anything that connected with that feeling I had walking in the streets of Argentina until now.  This is a huge principle...and it is a little hard to grasp for me.  I get the idea, but it doesn't feel like that "click" moment yet,

But maybe this is part of the reason why we are prone to self destruction.  Part of us knows that sometimes suffering brings about change.  Sometimes we have to be brought low to have the necessary power to rise above.  But as mortals, we can take this to far.  Life is all about balance.  I feel like this definitely is a step in the right direction to figure out why we are self-destructive.  Maybe sometimes we need to be...but we must stay in the area of righteous suffering, suffering for a purpose, rather than unnecessary and destructive suffering.  Balance is hard for us.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll have some cool thoughts about this. My mind feels a bit numb, because this feels like a pretty deep topic.

Hope you are doing well and I love you!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Love it love it!

    I definitely believe that there is a certain amount of pain and suffering one must endure before we can grow. I've definitely experienced that in my own life- the times I feel like my testimony has grown the most, the times I feel like I've progressed, and the times I feel like I've learned the most from God have been the times that I've been through an incredible amount of pain before hand. I know everyone's thresh hold is different- and what I may find painful (emotionally, mentally, and physically) may not necessarily be the same type of pain for someone else. But the principle remains the same- there is no comfort in the growth zone and no growth in the comfort zone.

    It's like any type of wound. We often experience pain when the wound is being cleansed or otherwise treated, not necessarily because we are further hurting ourselves (like when pouring hydrogen peroxide on a wound), but because it is a necessary part of the healing process. Without the help of the hydrogen peroxide, the wound wouldn't properly be healed and ride of the extra germs, which might lead to an infection further down the road. And although it may really hurt in the moment, that pain is worth not getting an even more painful infection further down the road. Hopefully that made sense- but yeah...If we choose to learn when we suffer, we can increase our empathy, our capacity to help others, and even become more capable of helping others through similar situations, all the while improving our relationship with Christ and Heavenly Father. Just some thoughts. Thanks, as always, for sharing your studies. I sure do enjoy them :)

    Much love and such,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete