Monday, June 1, 2015

For All Us Imperfect People Out There. That's Everyone

John 3

In this episode of Christ's life, he meets up with Nicodemus, a well known religious leader of the Jews at this time. Nicodemus acknowledges that Christ is a wise instructor of the gospel and admits that the only way he is able to perform these miracles is through the help of God. Christ responds to these observations by stating "except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (5). If you were meeting up with Christ and he said that to you, what would your reaction be? I'd probably go with something along the lines of what Nicodemus says, which is, yeah and how exactly? Am I supposed to get back in the womb like a kangaroo?...Because that's impossible, my fine fellow. Not really understanding the spiritual nature of what Jesus is trying to say, Christ breaks it down for him. He then further expands the truth to Nicodemus, reminding him that as a master of Israel, he should already know these things for himself, through personal revelation.
As their conversation progresses, Christ tells Nicodemus:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." (16)

"For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." (17)

I absolutely love verse 17. God's purpose, to bring to pass our immortality and eternal life, is a purpose of joy, love, and eternal commitment. Everything He does aligns Him with that distinct purpose. Because He wants us all the opportunity to live with Him again, he selected Christ as our savior- guaranteeing each one of us an opportunity to return and live in God's presence (hence the MIGHT be saved- we have to choose to accept Christ and his teachings in order to live with God). I love that God's purpose of sending Christ was to HELP us, not condemn us as fallen beings.

Each one of us needs Christ. We are all fallen. We all make mistakes, are imperfect, and have weaknesses that we can't overcome on our own. I definitely know I've got my share of all of the above. And sometimes it is exhausting to keep being reminded over and over and over and over again of just how human we are, through the mistakes we make on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis. Sometimes it feels completely hopeless to make the changes we want to see- or to feel like when we mess up, God will be furious or disappointed and not want us to come back to him. But verse 17 gives me so much hope: "God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world, but ....that the world through him might be saved."  He didn't send Christ to perform the atonement to make us feel bad about being imperfect. He sent Christ here to help us through this life.

That is the gospel of Christ right there- all of the commandments, ordinances- every single aspect of the gospel isn't meant to remind us of how "bad" we are. It's not meant to drive us into the ground, with no hope for change or the chance to start over after a fall. The gospel, the commandments-everything given to us by God is meant for our spiritual growth, and ultimately, meant as preparation for each of us to live in the presence of God.
What do the commandments do for us as individuals?
- Help our hearts and minds turn to Christ, better understand his doctrine
-Live a life that will strengthen our character here on earth and prepare to live with God

This plan, this gospel, does not guarantee an easy or trial free life. In fact, I can promise you that you and everyone else will be "tried by fire" time and time again, even when you are doing everything God asks of you. What the gospel does guarantee for you is the ability to grow as an individual, recognize who you are as a child of God, and allow you the chance to live with Him again. I gotta say, that is quite the deal right there. I am grateful for the incredible opportunity to start over every day. I know that I am imperfect. I know I make mistakes. And I know that as I continue to put my faith in Christ and align my heart with him, I will be able to do whatever it is I put my mind to. Of course, much easier said that done, but that doesn't mean I can't keep doing my best one day at a time.

Thanks so much for all you do, I sure do love you!
Emily

1 comment:

  1. I love this study. It is a good reminder that the gospel isn't there to tell you you are bad. It is to tell you you are GOOD. I remember having that epiphany about repentance in the MTC. Although we must recognize that what we did was bad, repentance is there precisely because we are good on the inside. It is to realign ourselves with God, not completely change our awful selves from bad to good. And yes, we are changed, but I see it more of strengthening what is already there in our spirits which is enabled by the resistance received from the natural man. Anyways, I'm grateful for the commandments. They are evidence that God loves us and He believes we are GOOD. I'm grateful for YOUR goodness in my life. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete