I read the story of Enos last night-and man oh man- I know I've read his story more times than I can count- but I definitely learned a couple of news things this time around. And that's something I loved about life- and especially about the scriptures- there is always an opportunity to find something new. It's just up to me to want to find it. Isn't that just the best?
Anywho, Enos is a regular guy who finally comes to the conclusion that he is not where he wants to be in relation to God. He recognizes his lifestyle will not permit him to be reunited with God, as he reflects on the words of his father concerning eternal life, as well as joy. What would make you hunger after eternal life and joy? I feel you really only desire those types of things when you truly experience the opposite. Maybe he was just passively living his life and came to the realization that it wasn't enough. Maybe he made some terrible and heavy mistakes that he wanted to be relieved of. I have no idea. I like that whatever it is, it's not included in the story. What is included is that his "soul hungered"- he wanted it. Not just to impress people around him. Not to fulfill a calling. He actually desired it for himself and he recognized the only way to be filled was going straight to the source- God.
He shares that God tells him his sins are forgiven and that because of this assurance from God, his guilt is swept away. Sometimes I feel like it's easier to forgive others than to forgive ourselves. Why was he able to believe that God had forgiven him? Why did he refuse to beat himself up for whatever lifestyle choices or mistakes he may have made? What caused him to believe he was worthy of forgiveness? Enos even asks, Lord, how is it done? To which Heavenly Father shares with him,
"Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard or seen...wherefore go to, thy faith hath made thee whole." Enos 1:8
So was it simply because Enos believed in Christ? I feel it's a starting point. But I think what God means is that because Enos believed in the words of his dad about Christ (forgiveness and redemption through Christ), he was motivated to change his behavior. Enos did not simply say, ok, I believe in christ, so I'm good to go. He wrestled (put forth all of his effort) into communicating with God. He showed God that he was sorry for his previous behavior- HE ACTED ACCORDING TO HIS BELIEF. So it was Enos's willingness to change his behavior to align with his belief. And that is faith at it's finest, folks; a belief that will motivate you to action (faith without works is dead James 2:26). Enos exercised faith unto repentance, which led to a remission of his sins.
True change comes on an individual basis. His dad couldn't do it for him. His siblings, friends, and other family couldn't do it for him. Even God couldn't it for him. But when Enos decided it was what he wanted, God was ready to help him with those changes and become his best self. What an incredible story. And I love that as soon as he experiencing the redeeming power of the atonement of Christ for himself, he wants to share it with others. And God reminds him that it will be according to the faith and individual actions of those he is praying for as to whether or not they will experience the same forgiveness he has just had.
We are all imperfect. We are all fallen, and each of us needs the mercy and atonement of Christ. We all have the opportunity to be completely forgiven through his love, mercy, and sacrifice. It is completely up to us whether we choose to embrace his gift and his forgiveness. I hope you are having a wonderful trip and am excited to hear all about it!
Much love,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment