Lately, it seems like a lot of people are going through a really rough time. And I think that's true of most of life-there's always going to be something going on- but somehow it's become normal to just push it all away and not let anyone know that we're struggling. Honestly, I do that more often than I'd like to admit. But why do we push others away when we need them most? I don't think there is just one reason, but speaking from my own personal experience, it may be fear of rejection, fear of being a burden, fear of dragging others down, of feeling too broken to be loved or fixed, or of trying to do it all on my own before going to others for help. I know there are a plethora of reasons we may hide the trials we are experiencing, and all the emotions that go along with them- but in the end, I am learning over and over- we really aren't meant to do this on our own. (Of course it's crucial to understand our own boundaries, as well as the boundaries of others, respectfully giving and receiving help, and some times leaving others to themselves until they are ready and comfortable to accept help)
Bottom line- we are all struggling with something to one degree or another. And if not, then I conclude they are a robot (just my opinion). We are human. We have emotions. We are not always going to be able to handle them well- especially when there are multiple external sources that may be dragging us in all sorts of directions, to the point where we feel we just may be torn into thousands of pieces. Regardless of what it is we may be experiencing, however, we can obtain hope (which I think is one of the most important qualities in life), peace, and direction during any trial as we choose to focus our hearts on Christ.
Today I read a talk by Mindy Ann Leavitt called, "Trusting in the Lord." It was phenomenal- I'd definitely recommend reading it if you have the time. Some thoughts that stuck out most to me as I read were:
- Centering on the atonement brings peace, strength, and the capacity to make it through trials
- Be humble
- Everyone is going through something, therefore:
- Be patient with others
- Be kind- you never know how bad someone else may have it
- Remain accountable for my actions, thoughts and feelings
- Recognize I am not responsible or in control of how others feel, just me
- Give others the space they need
- Admit when I need to readjust my life to align with God
God will not always take the trial away. Actually, from my own experience, it's quite rare that he'll just remove the trial altogether. Rather, he allows us to rely on the enabling power of Christ to become someone even more incredible, compassionate and capable because of the suffering we may experience through a specific trial:
- Mosiah 24: 13-14: the Lord strengthens the people, eases their burdens, and once they are changed, then they are delivered
- D&C 121:7-8: "Peace be unto thy soul, thine afflictions shall be but a small moment"
- D&C 58: 2-4: "Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes...the design of your God...for after much tribulation come the blessings"
- Alma 58:10-11: "Lord did visit us with assurances he would deliver us...he did speak peace to our souls..."
- 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10: "There was given me a thorn in the flesh...for this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness...therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses...for when I am weak, I am strong."
Whether our trials our caused through our own weaknesses, mistakes, or things out of our control, like the actions of others- we are promised by the Lord that we will be given the ability to make it through the storms of life as we rely on the gospel of Jesus Christ. Through his atonement, we are given the peace we need to make it through each day, no matter how dark or heavy the trial may be. I know that there have been times in my life where I have completely lost hope for any type of deliverance. I know that it is a terrifying, dark, and terrible place to be when it feels like the trial(s) will never end. I know that it has been through relying on the Lord and his enabling power that I have been able to regain the hope I felt like would never be obtained again, and through his sacrifice that I am able to keep progressing every day. I know the Lord is always with us, no matter how far we've fallen, no matter how broken we feel, no matter how many times we've messed up- if we are willing to get back up again, he will help us along the way. I know that He loves you, is rooting for you, and will guide you with whatever it is you are experiencing.
I love you and hope you have a wonderful week!
Love, Emmaline
No comments:
Post a Comment