Monday, June 8, 2015

Created In His Image

So for the next little while, I'm going to be deepening my understanding of my identity as a daughter of God. I want to better understand what my role is as a woman both in this life and the life to come. I want to better understand what it means to be a daughter, a sister, a friend, and potentially, a future mother. I'm starting to see in the studies that I've had thus far on this subject, that as I come to better understand who my Heavenly Father is, I will better understand my eternal identity. Pretty fun stuff.

What is the character of God, my Heavenly Father?
  • God is the Father of my spirit 
    • (Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee.") 
  • He spiritually created everything before he physically created it 
    • (Moses 3:5&7, "For I, the Lord God, created all things...spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth...And I, the Lord, God, had created all the children of men...for in heaven created I them...All things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word.")
  • Everything God speaks MUST be fulfilled 
    • Everything He says has a purpose- no room for fluff
  • All powerful, all knowing, honest, full of integrity
  • Patient, diligent, able to set goals and actually fulfill them
  • Artist- look at the world! Stunning!
  • He knows what it's like to be imperfect, but he cannot understand my personal experiences
    • That's why he chose a savior- Christ has the capacity to completely understand our hearts, motivation, and every feeling we experience while here
  • Still has feelings and emotions: anger, sadness, despair, love, joy, pain
    • Enoch saw him weeping for the wicked
    • These emotions don't go away when we are made whole (resurrected)- I think we just learn how to handle them in a more healthy and productive way than here in mortality
So our Father in Heaven is a pretty dang awesome guy, to say the least. He is perfect, loving, merciful, just, and dedicated to helping us reach our highest potential. What an incredible, compassionate, selfless, and inspiring Father. How can I be more like Him?
Moving on in Moses, chapter 2, I really enjoyed breaking down the following verse:

"And I God created man in mine own image*, in the image of Mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them." 
(Moses 2:27)
*Image= stem:imago= a copy likeness, equivalent
  • Noun: physical likeness, representation of a person or thing
  • Appearance of object in mirror, reflection
  • Idea, concept
"I, God, created man in mine own image..." How are we like Him? How do we become like Him?
  • Mankind= we are his offspring, spiritual sons and daughters
  • Made to physically resemble him
  • We have the capacity to become like Him
    • A parent (father or mother) both on earth and eternally
    • Perfected, resurrected, complete, ability to acquire his characteristics
"In the image of Mine Only Begotten created I him..." How are we like Christ?
  • Christ was our perfect example
    • "I am the way the truth and the light"
  • We are both children of God the Father
  • Image of Christ= obedient the will of God
    • Follow Christ and we become like our Heavenly Father 
    • Doesn't hold himself above God, doesn't think he knows better
    • Willing to submit to all that was asked of him
    • Respectful to both earthly and Heavenly parents
"Male and female created I them."
  • Two distinct sexes
  • Equal, but not the same (1 Corinthians 11:11)
  • Both were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth
    • Not- "Hey Adam, go to town on this chick" or "Hey Eve, you better get started on  making those babies"- they are equal partners in creating life
  • "I God blessed them and said unto them: be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth" (28)
    • He wants them to model His own life and become parents (earthly)
    • He wants them to become like Him 
      • Eternally both as parents and their individual character 
    • Wants His other children the opportunity to live in the world He's created and eventually make it back to Him. That circle of life though
  • We, men and women, have equal worth-don't have to tear each other down to feel valid. 
  • I kind of see it like an equation: 5+7=6+6
    • Both sides have a value of 12. But they are two different formulas or methods to get that value. Similarly, men and women are equally valued as children of God, but may have different roles, characteristics, and other qualities that make them who they are. It makes sense to me. Hopefully I'm not loosing my marbles
I'm really enjoying learning more about my eternal family- and who I am as a result of that. I know that as I come to better understand where I came from, who my Heavenly Father is, and who I am as His daughter, I will better incorporate other aspects of the gospel more fully in my own life. I'm excited to keep learning and developing my testimony of the gospel and I am grateful for all you are sharing with me! Thanks again so much for your wonderful insights and epiphanies!

Much love,
Emily







1 comment:

  1. I love how you broke this down. I too have been noticing a pattern of the truth "I am a daughter of God." And I've been using it to learn how to create boundaries, how I should or should not be treated, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how I should treat or not treat myself. I feel like knowing my identity, and I understand even more now through your study, helps me to love myself. Which helps me love others. Which all comes from our understanding of God. No wonder it is the most important commandment. Way to focus on that! I love learning from you:)

    ReplyDelete