Monday, September 22, 2014

What is Truth?

This week, Ima focus my studies on honesty and truth. And just a heads up, I will probably a little less formal throughout the week, for times sake, and do a fancier recap on Sundays or something- I digress- here's my thoughts for today's study.

In the lovely little dictionary I was using today, I looked up the word Honest:
-Free of deceit and untruthfulness
-Hard work (it's not always the easy way when you are honest)
-Blameless
Sometimes I forget that it is (often times) so much easier in the short term to tell a little lie here and there. It seem so harmless a lot of the time- Oh, I don't feel like doing that today, so I will "call in sick", or if I tell her what I really think, she won't like me anymore, etc.
A lot of the time though, honesty comes down to believing and trusting in TRUTH. If we are certain and determined to stand for truth, we will be blameless before God, ourselves and our fellow man. It may be hard work, but we end up becoming all the better for it in the long run. We gain trust with ourselves, with our God, and with our fellow man. Pretty sweet deal, no?

So what is truth?
According to the my good friend, le dictionary:
True- in accordance with fact and reality
And Christ tells us again and again throughout the scriptures, "I am the way, the truth and the light." If we are constantly turning to Christ, if we are consistently seeking his words, then we will be directed towards the truth in all we do. 

Here are some real great words from the Lord, found in D&C, about the importance of being honest (as opposed to the importance of being earnest. haw haw).

(I will summarize the idea in my own words, but feel free to look up the real thing if you like)
D&C 11:10- You are naturally given gifts/can receive gift from God with honest an heart and faith in christ

D&C 98:10- Look for honest people in my life (light attracts light)

D&C 97:8- We gain acceptance from God by having: Honest heart, broken heart, contrite spirit, willing to sacrifice for covenants/promises we make with Him
*Even if or when you mess up, just being honest about making a mistake and wanting to change will help you move closer to Him YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT YET. Just your best self

D&C 8:1- If you don't actually want it, or you're not being honest about wanting something, you won't get it
How many times do we actually get something done if we don't believe it's true? Or if we don't want it? Not much is all I can say

D&C 20:31 sanctification through christ occurs:
When we love God
When we show our love thru serving with all our heart might mind and strength ALL OF US
100% immersed!

D&C 1:30 the only true and living church: the restored church of christ
Why is it the only true and living church?

The power of the priesthood (ability and authority to act and perform ordinances in the name of God) was taken from the earth after the crucifixtion of christ and death of the apostles. Truth still existed on the earth, but was misinterpreted, distorted, abandoned, rejected, or just plain lost. Men and women were honestly seeking after God, but at the same time, so many people tampered with doctrine and practices. Some blatantly changed teachings to fit their needs, while others realized practices and teachings were changed over time. They really were trying to come back to truth, but didn't have the proper resources to do so. But all throughout this time, God was preparing the way for a final restoration of truth. Why? Because He loves us and He wants us to have the tools necessary to 
return to Him. He called a young boy, just like in times of old, Joseph Smith, to be the instrument by which He would restore the fulness of the gospel of Christ. He wants to prepare each one of us for the return of our savior, and by studying and living the teachings of the restored gospel, we will prepared for absolutely anything.

I am so grateful for the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and for the truths that have been clarified along with it. I am grateful for prophets and apostles that help us in the journey through life by speaking the words of Christ and of our loving Father in Heaven. Good gravy- I am oh so excited for general conference! It's only two weeks away! I know that I can receive the guidance, direction, comfort, and answers I am seeking for, as I turn my heart to the Lord. That's all for today, lady!

Love
Emmaline

3 comments: