Friday, September 19, 2014

Here we go

This week has been a whirlwind- keeping up with school, work, family, friends- it's quite the adventure, let me tell you. Throughout the week, I've been surprised at how many times the same theme keeps popping up- whether it's in my personal scripture study, talking with others, or my own browsing of this fine world, it all keeps coming back to this:  

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my [Christ's] sake shall find it." 
Matthew 16:25.

I've realized, after hearing this several times within the last couple of days, I need to take time to really introspect on this one. I'm still exploring all the possibilities of this statement, I know I am far from even skimming the surface. And I feel like a jumbled mess trying to explain what I am thinking, but I will do my best. 
What I gathered thus far is the importance of WILLING surrender. Willingly giving up our desires, our fears, our dreams, and our hearts in order to do His will. We have the ability to completely submit to the will of God. He won't force us to do it (although He will create plenty of circumstances by which we could choose to humble ourselves), he allows us the opportunity to turn to Him. Why? Why is it that we need His constant direction? Why do we need His help? And why is it that only through surrendering to Him we find ourselves?
Without Him, we would not exist. Not only are we His supreme creations, we are His sons and daughters, heirs to a heavenly home. The only way to return to His presence is to become like Him. The only way to become like Him is to do what He requires of us. He is a perfect being, completely whole, and able to set the standard for us to dwell in His presence. 
During this journey here on earth, He is well aware each one of us will fall short every single day. No matter who we are! No matter where we've been- He knows we are bound to fall again and again. But like president Utchdorf said last conference, "No matter how many times you have slipped and fallen, rise up!" The goal is to keep striving to be our best selves, and to remember this is why we all need a savior. We are all imperfect. We all need Christ's grace and His mercy to make up for what we lack. As we come to better understand his role in our lives, we will naturally want to do the will of the Father, because, after all, that's what Christ did His entire life. He was completely, 100% percent dedicated to his Father's work. And why was He that dedicated? One word, yo: LOVE.
Does that mean he didn't get discouraged? Does that mean he didn't want to keep going at some points? Even Jesus Christ, our perfect example, suffered the pains and frustrations of mortality. In the Garden of Gethsemene, he plead, 

"Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."
Luke 22:42

But instead of doing what he wanted to do, he allowed his will to be "swallowed up by the will the of Father," allowing a better future to be available for each of us. Christ completely lost himself in his calling as our savior. He was always ready to help, always ready to testify of His Father and His Father's word. 

Are we willing to do the same?

I realize this was kinda a long winded entry- I realized it's been a while since I've written things out during my scripture study, so i kinda just brain dumped it all out. If you prefer bullet points for next week, I can do that. Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Emily,

    I think that I put myself as a coauthor, so it should work. It is listed as one of my blogs now. I am so excited to get this started. Especially since people in other countries are reading it...how random:) I love your post. Dumping the brain is exactly what this is for. We'll see what comes out of mine when I can write a post about this entire week. I don't even know if I have one theme...I hope it is readable...we shall see. Thanks for sending your wisdom my way! This is going to be great.

    ReplyDelete