Friday, September 26, 2014

What we can learn from Moses's process of revelation?

Moses 1 is one of my favorite chapters EVER!  I had a very cool experience with it on the mission (I'll have to tell you about it another time).  Today it came to my mind, so I studied it, and I found some really cool stuff which I would like to share with you of course.  Basically, it is about the process of revelation and opposition and progress.  Moses is a perfect example of all three of these things.

1.  Moses receives an affirmation of his identity from God himself: "behold, thou art my son."

2.  Because of his identity (wherefore), God wants to show part of His glory to Moses (revelation, truth, knowledge, light).

3.  God shows him and then withdraws from Moses (vs 8)

4.  Moses "was left unto himself" and fell to the earth without natural strength.  Through this feeling of weakness, Moses had an epiphany about his relationship to God.  Man really is nothing.  We depend on God for everything.
     -We have to the contrast of things sometimes to better understand our relationship with God.  Sometimes God withdraws from us, but as we can see with Moses, it isn't always because we did something wrong.  Sometimes it is a teaching technique, a necessary part of the learning process.  

5.  He noticed the difference between his natural eyes and his spiritual eyes (discernment). 

6.  The temptation or test of Satan.  Satan wants to tempt Moses to deny what he has just received.  What did he receive?  Knowledge of his relationship with God.  Satan says, "Moses, son of man" as a direct contradiction to the fact that God has just said, "Moses, my son."  

7.  Moses held onto what he had already received from God, even though at first he wasn't sure who Satan was.  "I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten."

8.  Moses used his newly sharpened skill of discernment, "...where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?"  He starts to reason it out in his head: if I couldn't look at God without His glory, that means that you are not of God, because I can see you with my natural eyes.  He uses the contrasts that he had previously received to ponder and discern between his natural/spiritual eyes, light/darkness.  He sees that the glory of Satan is darkness.

9.  Through this discernment process, Moses realizes that the Spirit is with him, and this knowledge is a source of great comfort: "Blessed be the name of my God, for his Spirit hath not altogether withdrawn from me."  Moses realizes that God might withdraw, but He will leave His Spirit with us.

10.  Moses testifies of the truth, or a commandment: "Worship God, for him only shalt thou serve."

11.  Used his power of agency: "Get thee hence, Satan...for God said unto me: Thou art after the similitude of mine Only Begotten."  We are a similitude of Jesus Christ which means that the power is in us.  

12.  Testified of another commandment: prayer.  "I will not cease to call upon God."  Moses still has questions.  And he knows that God as His loving Father wants to answer him and will.  

13.  The trial of fear: Satan gets angry at Moses's response, and Moses starts to become afraid.  When his fear starts getting to him, he sees the bitterness of hell.  What did he do in that moment?  He CALLED UPON GOD.  God gave him strength, and again Moses could say, "Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship."  Moses restated the truth he had received, even in the face of the greatest fear.  The only way he could have done that is through prayer and receiving the strength from God.  

14.  Now Satan began to "tremble" and tried again to warp the truth and receive the glory.   
15.  Moses received MORE strength and through the name of Christ, was able to cast out Satan.  

16.  Moses bore record of his experience, but wickedness kept people from receiving it.

17.  The Spirit came upon Moses even stronger.  God was pleased with Moses and gave him BIG promises and LOTS of revelation.  Moses needed to use his even better sharpened gift of discernment, because only through that could he see what God was trying to tell him.  

Wow, right?  The process of revelation for me mirrors this but on a much smaller scale.  God gives me a taste of great light.  Then I fall weak to the floor, and I am tempted to doubt what I have received in some way.  As I act in faith and hold onto what I have received, I solidify my divine potential and identity, better understand my relationship with God, and overcome Satan through the power of Jesus Christ.  And through this process, I have learned how to discern between dark and light, my natural and spiritual eyes, etc which enables me to, after overcoming my trial, receive an increased capacity to receive the Spirit and understand what God tries to tell me.  

Revelation is always a process, and I feel like one of its purposes that I hadn't quite defined before is to teach us how to discern.  Because if we know how to discern, and we trust what we receive and we know who we received it from, we will better use our agency.  The process of revelation is how we become like gods!  

This just gets me all excited inside.  I feel like I uncovered a mystery today.  I hope you enjoyed the journey.  

I sure do love you,
Rachel  
  
  

1 comment:

  1. Have I ever told you that Moses is one of my favorite prophets? I never really read much about him until this last year- but oh the lessons I have learned from him since then! I love that you brought up the fact that God can and will withdraw a portion of his presence to really help us learn. By teaching us in this way, He is allowing us to grow in a way that wouldn't otherwise be possible if He was with us all the time. It would kind of defeat the purpose of us coming to earth, to even leave his presence in the first place. I am so grateful for your study today- I want to go back and read this chapter :)

    Love you!
    Ems

    ReplyDelete