Sunday, September 28, 2014

Out of Small Things Proceedeth That Which is Great


I have been thinking a lot about life lately. And one of the most important themes that encompasses it all is the importance of consistency. That has most definitely been popping up all over the place for me. It made me think of one of the most amazing, surreal experiences I have ever had.
I remember reading Lehi's vision, back in December (2013), it was crazy because right when I was reading it, I ended up living it. In real life. No joke. The Book of Mormon musical was playing in down town Fort Lauderdale (which is not a musical I would take the primary kids to, by the by), and as missionaries, we were chosen to represent the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in way that would help people understand our beliefs in real life, not satire life. There wasn't a script or formal training of any kind given to us, we were just told to talk with people and answer any questions they may have after coming away from the show. Kinda exciting, but at the same time, I really had no idea what was in store.
When we arrived at the theater, I stood in awe of one the most beautiful, amazing trees I have ever seen in the middle of a city. It was all lit up- it looked as though it were glowing against the backdrop of the city. Behind the tree, was one of the fanciest, immense buildings I'd ever seen (in Florida). At that moment, I thought to myself- oh my goodness, we are in Lehi's dream right now! There's the tree of life, and there's the great and spacious building. What in the world?! As we started taking with people on their way to the show, the night started to get more...interesting....I'd never had so much name calling, laughing, rude comments made, swearing, and rejection happen in such a short amount of time as we did those nights. Some people, thinking we were cast members even came over and got really nasty, and once they found out we were actual missionaries, turned even nastier.

As we continued to attend the show over the course of the next couple of weeks, I started noticing something interesting in the dream. There were 3 different groups in Lehi's vision that started out on the path to get to the tree of life. The first group got on the path, but instead of pushing forward, they listened to the people making fun of them, or chose to step away from the path, certain they could find their own way to the tree. The second group choose to keep close to the rod of iron. They made it all the way thru the mists and partook of the fruit of the tree, but ended up ashamed of the gospel they worked so hard to incorporate into their lives. Even after they'd tasted the truths of the gospel for themselves, they cared more about what those in spacious building (the world) thought of them and chose to fall away.The third group in Lehi's dream struck me the most. They also made it to the tree of life, falling down out of joy by the end once they reached the fruit. But instead of paying heed to the people around them, they found happiness and peace in the fruit they had sought after for so long:

"and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree." 1 Nephi 8:30
This group had a deep and loyal love for the Lord. They understood their purpose, and were consistenly living a Christ centered life. As this scene flashed across my mind while in downtown Fort Lauderdale, I realized that too often, I was in the second group of people. I knew what I was doing was true, but I wasn't always focused on the right thing. And I often let others' opinions keep me from really being dedicated to the gospel. I remember committing to Heavenly Father that I would do everything I could to be a part of that 3rd group of people. I know that this is a life long commitment, and not something I will master all at once. But I do know that no matter what happens, the most important thing is to remain consistent in the basic principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that left to myself, I would not be able to get up after I fall over and over- but through the atonement of Jesus Christ, I know I can overcome absolutely anything.

I know God will help each of us with our righteous desires, no matter how impossible or hopeless they may seem at times. He will always provide a way for us to find his light- and even when it seems confusing or dark, when it feels like He is nowhere to be found, God has left an infinite amount of resources for us to find Him and feel Him. As we live and stand by his word, the iron rod, we will not go astray, and will one day live with Him again. I promise that by "small and simple things, great things are brought to pass" (alma 37:7)and we should "be not weary in well-doing, for [we] are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great." (D&C 64:33)

Thanks so much for reading!
Love,
Emily

Ps sorry about the weird highlighting thing- I don't know what I did or how to get rid of it :p

2 comments:

  1. Dear Emily, that sounds like such a cool experience. I like how you include in that second group the general things that distract us from fully committing to the gospel. I know that we won't be perfect, but I love what you said about the iron rod being the way to not be lead astray. I think that is a part of the reason why this blog is great. We are studying it and sharing it and learning from each other. We DO have to holdfast to the iron rod. But we DON'T have to do it alone. I love you:) I'm glad we are all a team walking through it together. Just always know that you are not alone,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience Emily. It was so brave of you and your fellow missionaries to stand for what you knew was right so boldly despite all the hatred being thrown your way. You truly inspire me to be better. :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete