If you think about it, what causes a heck of a lot of disagreements, fighting, and just downright conflict? You got it- not understanding (or even wanting) to understand where the other side is coming from. And like I was saying in my post the other day- if you don't believe something is true, or if you don't understand why you are doing it, are you going to be motivated to get it done without someone else pushing you into it? Odds are less likely you'd do whatever it is willingly on your own, one would suppose. During my studies today though, I realized that both Heavenly Father and Christ have perfect knowledge AND UNDERSTANDING- of everything! They don't just know WHAT to do, but WHY to do it.
They understand where each one of us is coming from. They understand our strengths and weaknesses, our past failures and triumphs, our fears and dreams, as well as why we act the way we do. Our progress is measured internally, not based on off of what everyone else is experiencing and doing.
They both also understand the importance of allowing us to learn and grow in a way that suits us each individually. In Isaiah 28:10, we are told
"For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, there a little"
And again in D&C 98:2
"For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will try you and prove you herewith."
Isn't that awesome?! You can start where ever you are with the gospel and just take it one day at a time. You are required to take a crash course, or to everything all at once. All you got to do it just be willing to take it one step at a time, as slow or as fast as you want to take it. Each one of us is at a completely different portion of our journey here on earth, but it is so comforting to know that regardless of where we are or where we've been, God totally gets it. And us. So a quick recap:
-God loves and understands each of us on an individual level
- He knows our strengths and weaknesses, fears, why we act the way we do
-Understands we need to learn one principle at a time (like math)
*gradual learning- this allows true learning to occur, not just binge learning
-Understands our individual pace and learning style
Understanding definitely comes over time as you are willing to question, ponder, pray, and ACT. If we don't understand something, it all comes back to faith:
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb 11:1)
If we really want an answer, we are able to ask our Father in Heaven, any time, any place for His help and Christ has promised us:
"Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek and ye shall find, knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Luke 11:9)
We need to actively think for ourselves, come up with questions, take them to God, and ACTIVELY seek the answer. Notice how Christ tells us to "knock." If you are knocking on a door, you are going to someone else. Whether it's a co worker, a friend, family member, or praying- we are showing that we seek further understanding from someone who may have the experience we are searching for. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and more importantly, don't be afraid to go out there and get those answers. And we need to be willing to accept learning at the pace God is willing to go with us. Our understanding will increase as we put our trust in God, live his commandments, and seek His will.
I feel like I was a tad scattered today, but that's what I feel like I learned. Hope you enjoy
I LOVE this! Knowledge is the "what" and understanding is the "why" and God and Jesus Christ have both of them. I hadn't ever distinguished the two of those in this particular way. Thank you for this thought. I needed it, as I am working to understand some things in my life...I'm kind of floating in this whole post-mission phase, but I know that, just like you said, the understanding will come little by little. I've just gotta keep walking, holding onto what I've already received, and trust that the light will come. Thanks for making me think:) You are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThanks lady! It reminded me of a study I had once where I realized the use of the word "wax" in the scriptures is like a waxing moon- or waxing a candle. They, like us, don't grow all at once, but bit by bit, piece by piece, one bite at a time. If the moon where cheese. Or a cookie. Maybe a cheesey cookie? Anyhowsers, I really enjoyed the study as well. Thanks for your feedback my dear, you are fantastic :)
ReplyDelete