Sunday, September 21, 2014

Dedication

Today was wonderful, I was able to attend the dedication of the Ogden temple. While at the last session, Linda Burton spoke about the importance of every single part of the house of the Lord being dedicated to Him. Right before she spoke her next sentence, a thought flashed across my mind, the scripture in Corinthians, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God...and that ye are bought with a price?" Seeing as my body is a temple, I thought to myself, am I fully dedicated to God? Does He get all of me or just part of me?
Just as the thought left my mind, Sister Burton quoted the same scripture- and asked the same question. Are we fully dedicated? It's like I have ESPN or something (50 bonus points for that one if you get the reference).

I absolutely loved that she went into detail about each part of ourselves, as follows:
Are our eyes looking for the good in others? Are we striving to see people the way God sees them? Are our ears taking in subjects that are uplifting, and that inspire us to impact others positively? Do we listen to others genuinely? Do we listen and ACT on promptings from the spirit?
Do we speak words of comfort, kindness, and encouragement, as well as boldly declaring truth when needed?
Do we seek after Christ and Heavenly Father with our hearts and minds? Are we alert and attentive when serving others, as well as attending meetings(church, sessions, etc)?
Are our feet and hands devoted to helping our fellow man? Are we taking the time to reach out to those who are struggling physically, mentally, and emotionally? Are we making the effort to walk in their shoes and understand where they are coming from?

I think that is such a beautiful image that she gives us. Each part of our body, our temple, represents a  part of our own personality. We can use our gifts and our God given personalities to turn outward and serve others, the way Christ always did. Instead of just "going through the temple," we allow the temple to go through us, as we pay more attention to dedicating each part of our lives to God. I am really excited to introspect how I am doing on each one of these topics in order to better help those around me.
I know that Heavenly Father is so mindful of us all. I know that He is aware of every single pain, worry, doubt, confusion, hope, dream, and goal we feel. I know He wants us to prepare ourselves for the future, both for what happens here in mortality and in the life to come. I know He has prepared a way for us to walk through this life, back into His presence. It is through our wonderful, amazing, and loving brother and savior, Jesus Christ that we are able to do so. I really am so grateful for His patience with me, sometimes I can be quite the stubborn little booger, for a lot of reasons, but I am so grateful he continues to walk by my side, allowing me room to fail, learn, and grow.

By dedicating ourselves to Him, we can find peace, comfort, and strength to make it through the darkest, as well as the happiest of times.

I'm getting all Ammon up in here, but he puts it better than I could, so I will finish off with this:

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things."
Alma 26:12


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. What a wise woman you are! I love it when the thoughts, scriptures, themes that come to our mind follow us around everywhere. This time for you it happened to be immediately. For me, those moments are a little reminder that, "Oh, I think I have the Spirit!" Even after countless talks and studies and ponderings and a mission, I still have trouble recognizing the Spirit in my life. But I know that it is a process, just like the process of purifying every corner of your soul so that light can fill you. We are like circles forever expanding, and if we dedicate our circle just like we dedicate a temple, we will be absolutely FULL of light. Thanks for the thought-sparking remarks! You always make me think, and I sure do love to think:)

    ReplyDelete