Joseph Fielding Smith said:
"God gave his children their free agency even in the spirit world, by which the individual spirits had the privilege...of choosing the good and rejecting the evil...Because of this, some even there were more faithful than others in keeping the commandments of the Lord."
"The spirits of men were not equal. They may have had an equal star, and we know they were all innocent in the beginning; but the right of free agency which was given to them enabled some to outstrip others, and thus, through the eons of immortal existence, to become more intelligent, more faithful, for they were free to act for themselves, to think for themselves, to receive the truth or rebel against it"
I've never thought of this before. That is why we come here with talents and differences. Depending on how we chose to act upon the truth in the life before this one, we advanced as spirit at our own rate "so that only some became 'noble and great ones' (Abraham 3:22)." I hope to build here upon what I chose in the premortal existence. I want to become a noble and great one, a true follower of Christ, and reach my full potential. I want to learn to choose, despite anything that may come against me or any weaknesses that I've been given here on earth. I am also grateful for my weaknesses, because they are teaching me more than a life without weakness ever could. I'm learning how to use the Atonement in my life which is and will be a precious gift to me for the rest of my life. I have a lot to work through and learn, and sometimes I feel like I have no idea how to let the power of the Atonement into my life in order to get to where I need to be and live the gospel more fully. But I know that life is a process and that as long as I'm trying, God won't let me fall.
I hope you are doing great Emily, and I know because of the greatness of your spirit, that you made great choices and learned great things in the life before this one. And I'm proud of you for what you are doing here. You amaze me!
Love ya,
Rachel
What an incredible study! Wow. I just have to sit here for a minute. But that totally makes sense. I was actually wondering the other day why it is Satan was able to rebel against the council in Heaven, along with all the other spirits when every says we came to earth to exercise our agency- but we've had the opportunity to act for ourselves far longer than our time on earth.
ReplyDeleteAnd I really really love the idea that we are on different levels spiritually.You see that even now- we all have the same tools, once we have access to the gospel, to progress and become the best version of ourselves, as well as gain as much light and truth as we can while here on earth. But why is it that some people just don't seem to progress at all? In some cases, they refuse to believe consistency in the small things make a difference eternally- but here's the thing: if you're studying to take a math final at the end of a semester, who's going to understand and internalize the concepts better? Someone who's been looking over the material all semester, studying piece by piece or someone who just glanced at the book the night before?
I may be rambling- but I feel that absolutely anyone can have a testimony of ANYTHING in the gospel- and anyone has the right to all the light and truth God has to offer- but it is up to us individually to open our hearts to what we need to receive. And like you said, our progression is individual- starting this life and extending beyond this mortal sphere. I hope to keep progressing and being excited by constant learning.
Thanks so much for this study and your faith in me. I love you and I know you are doing and becoming wonderful things!
Emily