I've compiled some cool things I've learned through the book The Infinite Atonement:
In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were immortal, walked and talked in the presence of God, lived in a state of innocence, and couldn't have children.
Of course it was great to be immortal, free from pain, disease, or death. But without those things, they were stuck in "spiritual sterility." They couldn't experience a fulness of joy which was an obstacle to their individual development and progression. AND without knowledge of both good and evil, they couldn't fully exercise their agency, which is a necessary thing to exercise in order to become like God (That's the goal for goodness sake!). There was no way to build character.
Of course it was great to walk and talk with God. While they were spiritually alive in His presence, they were also spiritually stagnant. Their dependence on Him in their state of innocence did not enable them to grow spiritually and become like God.
Plus they needed to have children in order to multiply and replenish the earth.
Basically what I learned is that Eden is a temporary spot in the journey of life, a way station, not a destination. You can't become like God in the Garden of Eden.
Now I think a lot about patterns (as you know), and I absolutely love to find patterns in the way God works. He is a pretty organized Man, so when you look for them, you always find.
I've noticed in my life that I am living in a state of a good thing. Maybe its a feeling, a state of being, a situation. But I am in that state and for a moment, it become like my Eden. Living in Eden is a wonderful thing. However, it must be temporary or I won't reach my potential. I need to leave Eden.
God follows this pattern all of the time. He guides us to do hard things. Sometimes He sends us difficult situations. But He always begins with giving us a taste of true goodness. Adam and Eve lived in the presence of God. Can you imagine how good that felt? Yet that was taken away for a time, a period of probation. BUT God promises us that we can return to Him. This time it won't be permanent. This time it will be forever. And we will have become like Him.
I see these patterns in my life on smaller scales all the time. Sometimes I feel a connection or a good feeling or I reach a new state of freedom and it feels so good. Then trial hits and I feel like I lose it. Yet because God is God and He always keeps His promises, I know that if I do my best, I will receive those feelings or states of being again except this time they will be more permanent. Ultimately they will last eternally. We are constantly working towards that. Isn't this pattern beautiful?
Anyways, thought this was a cool concept and I had never noticed the pattern within the story of the Fall, but it is there.
Love ya,
Rachel
Oh man. I love this study.
ReplyDeleteKind of reminds me of when the Jaredites get comfortable at the sea shore, not realizing that their journey isn't over quite yet. They've still got a whole ocean to cross. And man oh man, is it one of the hardest things they've ever done. But they were able to get through it, with the help of the Lord, until they were ready to reach the promised land. By the time they arrived, they were so aligned with God, that they were able to recognize that it was only because of their trials they were able to make it to the promised land.
God is good! Nope. He's great!