Wisdom and Order by Neal A Maxwell, that's what.
Well God gave me a good reminder as I came home exhausted tonight.
"Wisdom and Order" by Neal A. Maxwell, that's what.
This may be long because I don't have the energy to tighten it up, but I have a feeling you'll need to hear it to. So here ya go,
Elder Maxwell has on his wall a quote from Anne Morrow Lindbergh: “My life cannot implement in action the demands of all the people to whom my heart responds.” Yeah, perfect for a people pleaser like me.
He talks about how after a really long day, he went out and gave three blessings to different cancer patients. But that it would have been better to spread it out over a couple of days so that he could have the empathy necessary to do so. I definitely needed to read this tonight.
He encourages us to find little bit retreats in between busy moments where we rejuvenate ourselves. Amen, right?
Unhurried time is worth more than the time spent hectically. Wow, I spend a lot of time hectically. In fact, tonight at the Relief Society activity, I couldn't even enjoy myself because I was so exhausted from the day and week and overwhelmed and run down. I was just a cranky pants, impatient with all the setbacks and confusions. That isn't fun!
A great scriptural reminder of this principle:
“And Moses’ father in law said unto him, The thing that thou doest is not good.
“Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone” (Ex. 18:17–18).
The problem is, I find myself wearing away but can't find the balance. It is so hard! But when I try to take it all on myself, both me AND the people I serve or who serve with me are wearied.
We have to keep our priorities and make sure that the smaller things aren't interfering with the more important things. Callings and jobs come and go, but those should never interfere with our constant need to become like Christ. Last month I found myself overwhelmed by everything so much that my relationship with God and Christ and myself was not nurtured enough. In fact, I'm still doing that. I just don't know how to stop sometimes!
I love this principle that Elder Maxwell explains:
Husbands and wives should have one gospel conversation at least once a week—just between themselves. They should “sit a spell,” even though it may last only ten or fifteen minutes.
How much time to we take to sit and have a conversation like that? Not so much.
That is why I am grateful for you! We talk like that all the time. That is why we feel rejuvenated.
One of the reasons I don't feel renewed is because my scripture study has been under par this last week. That is a priority. Its like the mission. If I don't fill myself, I can't spread the light. I'm definitely experiencing that right now. It is hard to keep the balance.
I also love this quote:
Elder LeGrand Richards once said of worry: “It’s the Lord’s Church[so I] let Him worry about it."
I've got to just let things be as they are and trust that all will be well.
His grace is sufficient for us for each of life’s seasons, if we are humble.
I know that my particular life season right now is busy and it is supposed to be. I don't know why, but God has been giving me a whole lot of responsibility and opportunities all at once. Especially in regards to working in groups and being the leader and having to figure out the best way to delegate and inspire. I'm still working on it. But I'm exhausted. However, I know that God's grace is sufficient for me to get me through.
I love this quote too! John Taylor indicated that in life we cannot be shielded from certain things:
“It is necessary that we should have a knowledge of ourselves … and comprehend our strength, our weakness, our ignorance and intelligence, our wisdom and our folly, that we may know how to appreciate true principles. … It is necessary that we should know our own weaknesses, and the weaknesses of our fellow-men; our own strength, as well as the strength of others … and not to overvalue our own wisdom or strength, nor depreciate it, nor that of others, but put our trust in the living God, and follow after him."
Isn't that so true? I bet that's one of the reasons I'm in this season. To learn about myself, other people, and learning how to accept that and just put it all in God's hands. It is too heavy of a load to carry on your shoulders when you worry about everyone and yourself and you beat yourself up.
Christ was the best example of this balance!!
He never was working hectically. He trusted in the timing of everything. He left when He needed to. He tarried when he needed to. He empathized with people even in HIs hardest moment in Gethsemane. And He individualized teaching the same principles. He is so wonderful. For Him, His duty was delight! He made it unique and full of love each time.
Elder Maxwell tells us: "We must keep ourselves spiritually and otherwise intact. "
Keeping spiritually intact results in our keeping precious perspective by seeing “things as they really are” (Jacob 4:13).
Wisdom and order help us cope with “people fatigue” and commitments beyond our strength and means. Wisdom and order prompt us to “sit a spell” with loved ones and colleagues, allowing us time for life’s extra chores, and remind us that we cannot bear all things now. Wisdom and order help us to separate preferences from principles.
The demands and challenges of our day are great, but wisdom and order help us maintain our perspective. That perspective, in turn, allows us to do all things in “wisdom and order,” that thereby we might “win the prize” (Mosiah 4:27), even exaltation and eternal life with those we have loved and with those we have served.
Thanks Elder Maxwell for the great reminder. I sure needed it.
Love,
Rachel
Oh my goodness!
ReplyDeleteYup. I definitely needed to read this message!! Thank you so much for sharing!
The scripture from exodus hit me real hard- I had an experience on the mission where my district leader had to read it to me because I was trying to fix everything at once: training, the ward, the other missionaries, people who weren't fulfilling their callings, etc. But when he read that scripture, I realized that ultimately, I was not putting enough trust in God and His planning/timing. I needed to just let go and let others fulfill what they had been called to do and trust that it would all work out.
Thank you again for sharing. I need to put this into practice:)
Emily