Thursday, December 4, 2014

Trust Leads to Constant Peace

Doctrine and Covenants 11:23-24

Behold thou art Hyrum, my son; seek the kingdom of God, and all things shall be added according to that which is just.
Build upon my rock, which is my gospel;
We both know that I tend to over-complicate things and/or over-analyze things.  Although usually I do that with good motives or intentions, it just creates added stress in my life.  If I remembered the point of this scripture, I think I would have a lot more peace in my difficult moments.  
Basically Christ is saying that all I have to do is seek the kingdom of God, which He expands upon as building upon His rock (His gospel).  The answer is so simple, like always.  If I focus on seeking the kingdom of God, I can trust that all my needs will be taken care of in the way that is just and good for me.  What a simple truth but giant promise!  
Can you imagine how much more simple our lives would be if we just remembered this?  Like today, I came home from school and my body started to freak out.  My hands were shaking.  I don't know if this is because I haven't been taking good care of myself or what, but I honestly think it is the stress of these last two days.  I think my body is in a state of constant adrenaline rush or something.  This week I haven't slept, because my mind won't shut off.  Basically, I'm out of whack.  What about if instead of thinking of my endless to do list, I thought, "Well, God has promised me that He'll give me everything I need if I seek His kingdom.  I'm doing my daily scripture study.  I'm praying.  I'm going to church.  I'm trying to do His will every day.  Yes, I don't do it perfectly by any means, but I am trying.  So that means that all my needs will be taken care of.  School stuff will work out.  Work stuff.  Lack of time and too much homework.  Fear.  Confusing things.  Everything will work out according to God's justice which is sure and good and gets me to where I need to be.  I don't have to worry!"  Wow, what a relief that would be!  I think my body wouldn't be shaking right now, and I think that I could sleep better at night.  I would be better able to do my homework because instead of writing under pressure, I'd be writing under peace and CONFIDENCE.   Confidence is the key to everything.  
This week, I'm going to use all the stress as an opportunity to better train my brain to maintain its peace, even under pressured circumstances.  I'm going to keep reminding myself that God is there and that He will provide for everything I need, because I am doing my part.  This seems to be my theme, because as I wrote about yesterday, I've been getting little stress tests.  I'm grateful because I think they are helping me to train my brain to maintain peace in whatever circumstances.  So on I go, I have to write 10 pages today for two papers due tomorrow, and I also have to work.  But I know that God will help me through it.  And He'll give me the strength I need so I don't burn out from all this stuff before finals week even gets here:)  God is so good!
I love you, and I hope all is going well for you,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment