Friday, February 19, 2016

"Be Not Afraid...For I am With Thee"

I had a great study in Acts 18- it's a simple idea- but a very powerful one.
I've been working on getting better at my communications skills (probably one of those, it takes a life time to master things or something) and was asking myself, how can I better communicate? When do I know when it's right to speak up and when to listen? When to not say the witty rebuttal you're dying to throw back? And how will I know what to say when I need to speak up? These are questions and issues I've never been extremely comfortable with or able to handle very well, but I feel like I am improving. So that's something.

In Acts 18, Paul has not had much success finding people who are genuinely interested in the gospel. He eventually comes to a city where there are some who are ready to receive the gospel and are soon after baptized. Later that night, Paul receives a vision from the Lord, "Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace: For I am with thee, and no man shall set thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city." (Acts 18:9&10) Why would God have sent him this message after just having a successful baptism? Paul is still human! What has he experienced at this point?

Paul used to be an antagonist to the church, having been responsible for tearing families apart, and even the death of some members. He is still probably haunted by his past now and then- making it hard to believe people want to hear from him and listen to him. He may also be remembering the traumatic experiences he recently went through, like being publicly beaten without a trial, put in prison with no verdict, etc. God knows exactly what he is feeling and what he is experiencing, and therefore, knows exactly what he needs to hear. He gives him those gentle, loving words of encouragement and gives Paul the hope he needs to keep preaching. Now that Paul has the assurance he needs, he can trust that if he puts his faith in God, he will know what to say and how to say it when the time comes to preach again.

I love both sides of this story- God, being the perfect, whole, loving, and observant parent that he is recognizes Paul needs comfort and assurance in order to keep going. Once Paul receives the comfort, peace, and direction given from the Lord, he is able to speak boldly and bravely, despite any doubts or fears he may have,

Trust in God, and you will know what you need to say, or even what not to say. He will bring you the peace you need when you need it. I know He is aware of everything you are experiencing and will continue to guide you as you seek his help.

Have a great week!
Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment