I remember a photo that I fell in love with as a missionary in Florida. I was serving a full time church mission- and let me tell you what- it was probably the most intense time of my life. It felt like there was always so much to accomplish, and never enough time to get it done! There were times that I felt overwhelmed, defeated, like a failure, unable to keep going, and like I was stuck. I felt like no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't figure out how to meet the demands of missionary life and not just accomplish everything that was expected of me- but to do it all well. Again, in other words, I didn't know how to balance my priorities. As I asked for help through prayer and talking with others around me, I remember one morning coming across an image that I will never forget. A pile of stones, in what seemed like an impossible defiance of gravity, was stacked unevenly on top of on another, stretching up the whole page. I didn't understand how exactly it worked- it looked like the stones should have fallen over- but somehow whoever put it together had found a way to make them work with one another. This person who created this "cairn" of sorts understood that each stone was able to fit in a specific spot that would allow the others to be included. AGAIN- it was all about balance!
I've been thinking a lot lately about why balancing is important- and with everything that is expected of us- whether we are single, married, parents, children, students, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, the list goes on and on- life doesn't let up. There will always be something that is demanding our attention- in fact it's usually several things all at once. And the thing that stuck out to me most (again, something I feel like I really learned from my time in Florida)- there will never be enough time to do everything you want. You make time. You make time for the things that matter most to you. I see that in my own life now, and I saw it time and time again, in my own life as well as the lives of those I encountered. There were families that had two parents working multiple jobs to put food in their children's mouths, clothes on their backs, and a roof over their heads. They were some of the busiest people I have ever met. But they never let the things they had to do get in the way of the things that mattered most to them: God and their families. Watching these families that had next to nothing physically give their time, energy, and talents when it seemed like they had nothing left was a miracle. They did not forget all of the wonderful things God had done for then. They did not forget where they came from, how hard they had worked to get there, and the vision they had for their family, not just in this life, but in the life to come.
Somehow, they were able to balance it all- work, taking care of their kids, paying their bills, groceries, etc- and still manage to make time for the gospel of Christ in their lives. Why? Why were they able to add even more to do to their plate when they already had so many things demanding their attention? Because God has given us the gospel of Christ to help, not hinder our progression on earth. Sure, living the gospel isn't always easy. In fact, sometimes it feels like a check list if you aren't paying attention to why you are doing what you are doing. But God didn't give us the gospel of Christ to make us feel guilty. He didn't give us the gospel of Christ to make us aware of everything we aren't doing. He gave us this gospel so that we can accomplish great things while we are here in mortality, and so we each have the potential to become like Him. And to become like our Father in Heaven means to become perfect- whole, complete, balanced!
Sometimes it seems like all the things we have to do while living the gospel is a chore, or will get in the way of everything else we have to do. In reality, when we prioritize LIVING the gospel of Christ, I have found that we are enabled to do things far beyond our natural capacity.
As I was thinking over how to achieve balance, not just within my gospel living, my with my entire life, Matthew 6: 33 came to my mind: "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself." (33,34)
I've been worried about so many things lately, more than I care to share at the moment- that I'd forgotten such a basic principle- faith. Faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement. Faith that things will work out in his time. Faith that I can change. Faith that others around me can change as well. And faith that if I put my trust in God and prioritize Him in all that I do, He will make up for the rest.
I know that I imperfect. I know that I makes mistakes daily, some bigger than others. I know that I have some habits, behaviors, characteristics that I really would like to change about myself. I know that there a lot of things that I am worried about that are out of my control. I know that I cannot control everything, or know how everything is going to turn out. But I do know that as I put my trust in God, He will help me grow, learn, and become the best I can be as I figure it all out. I know that He is aware of each of his children. I know that He will help you gain whatever it is you feel you're lacking- willpower, the ability to change, the desire to believe, money, time- whatever it is- if you put Him first, he will make up for the rest. I promise you that with all my heart (just remember- it'll be His timing, not yours).
I hope you have a great week!
Emily

No comments:
Post a Comment