Monday, October 26, 2015

Weekend Reflection

This weekend was wonderful. Lots of family time, spending time with friends, pondering, evaluating, and inspiration all around. Hopefully I'll be able to connect it all- I'm just going to share what's been on my mind over the weekend.

I was at the temple on Friday for a family member who made the decision to be endowed and it was incredible. I remember as I walked into the chapel of the temple to wait for the endowment session to start, I watched as multiple members of my immediate and extended family walked in. I was overwhelmed by how many members of my family who had come to support this wonderful event. None of them had to come, or were forced, but each one of them took the time out of their schedule to show their love and respect for this decision. I remember feeling so much love, so much peace, and feeling that this is what it will be like in the next life. No judgement for past choices. No impatience at the timing of others. Just happiness, relief, joy, love, and unity.

I then realized that I'd been missing out on a critical part of temple worship. I try to go to the temple on my own as often as I can- some months I'm much better at it than others. I tend to go on my own, and occasionally with other family or friends. Then I realized it is very important to attend the temple as often as you can on your own, to learn and grow at your own rate-  but everything about the temple- about the gospel- is about helping us progress as families. That doesn't mean everyone in your family will progress at the same rate. Or that they will choose to work towards the same end goal as you at all. But it does mean that as you attend the temple and seek to better yourself, your influence will naturally be felt among those closest to you. And progressing with family doesn't mean it will always be those you are related to by birth. Family can be the bonds you form with friends and other loved ones in your life. Anywhosers, bottom line is- we are not in this alone. God wants us to all progress together while we are here on earth, helping each other along the way on our own individual adventures.

Other thoughts from the weekend:
  • Life doesn't always go the way YOU plan. Be flexible
  • Wounds don't mean you have done anything wrong or that you are unloved
    • They can make you more empathetic, remind you of where you've been
  • Understanding comes with time, consistency, effort, and patience
  • Trust that answers come as you are willing to ACT
  • Darkness helps us better appreciate the light
  • Life beats you down again and again
    • With Christ we have the capacity to change and get back up again
  • Being open hurts and can be scary, but it is the only way to fully live
    • If your jersey isn't muddy, sweaty, or torn, you're not playing the game
  • Learn from my mistakes and weaknesses- GROW
    • They're only negative if I let them weigh me down
  • Be the kind of person that is willing to admit when they are wrong and quick to change for the better
  • Fear hinders progression
    • Understand, acknowledge, face fears, and ACT
  • Trust in the Lord with ALL thine heart
So I think what it all comes down to from what I learned this weekend is that God loves us all individually, he wants us to progress at our own pace (in His time and the time that works best for us), our progression is best when we help others along the way, we are meant to progress as families (blood, friends, etc), and as we trust in Christ and his gospel we can accomplish anything, overcome any trial, temptation, or weakness, and be our best selves. And we are not in it alone.

Hope you have a great day!
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment