Thursday, October 22, 2015

Cast the Net on the Right and Ye Shall Find

A lot of what I do and think is based off of fear. What am I afraid of?

  • Rejection
  • Isolation
  • Too broken or messed up to be loved
  • Letting myself down
  • Letting others down
  • Living below my potential
  • Rising to my potential (I am afraid to shine)
  • Ridicule from others
  • That one day I'll wake up and all be gone
  • That I am not a priority 
  • Being hurt
  • Hurting others through my own weaknesses and shortcomings
  • Regressing or reverting to old habits

I loved my study today. In John, chapter 21, Christ appears for the 3rd time since his resurrection to Peter and a few other apostles. Peter has reverted to the life he lived prior to meeting Christ. After a long night of nothing caught in their nets, Peter and crew are about to turn in, when someone from the shore calls out, "Cast the net on the right side and ye shall find." (John 21:6) Taking a step back from the story, what stuck out most to you about this phrase? When I first read it, I didn't think about what Christ physically meant- that if they put their net on the right side of the boat instead of the left, they would find the fish they were looking for. I thought more along the lines of center your focus, heart, mind, and soul in the right place and ye shall find.
Where are we looking for happiness right now? Are we following God's counsel and looking where he has directed us? Or are we certain that we know better, ignoring His council and trying to find happiness, success, whatever it may be, in the wrong places? Just some food for thought.

Back to the chapter: once Peter and friends drop their nets onto the right side of the boat, they do indeed catch more fish than they anticipated. John recognizes this as the first miracle Christ performed for them back in the day and once the others catch on, they immediately make their way to shore. The follow thoughts came to me as I continued reading:

  • When we follow God's counsel on where to look for success, happiness, etc, we will be more abundantly blessed than we can ever imagine
    • We need to be willing to listen and ACT on given counsel
  • God will bless us appropriate to our needs and natural capacities
    • Nets remained intact, did not break despite how many fish were carried
  • Perspective is everything
    • Peter could've looked at all the fish as a burden
      • They're too heavy, we don't need this many, we don't deserve them
      • Why did you give us so many?
    • Instead, he saw them as a blessing from the Lord
  • When Christ keeps asking Peter, "Lovest thou me more than these?" he wasn't looking for words alone, he was looking for a commitment to act
    • Feed my sheep => Call to action! Show, not tell!
  • Christ foretells of Peter's martyrdom, Peter asks what John's fate will be
    • Christ tells him, "If I will that he tarry until I come, what is it to thee?
    • Don't get caught up in other people's strengths, talents, or role that you forget or downplay your own
    • We all have unique gifts and talents specific to US
    • Hone our skills, understand our roles- don't be distracted or discouraged that they aren't the same as others around us
When we let go of what we think we're supposed to be, we can start living. I don't think Peter had fully recognized who he was going to become yet, or even who he was at this point. But Christ guided him to where he needed to focus in order to reach his highest potential.
I'm sure he was filled with just as many, if not more fears than I have right now. But he didn't let his fears control his actions. He learned from his past mistakes, he listened with an open and humble heart, and he ACTED. He became one of the most incredible apostles ever recorded in the scriptures, and one of my favorite examples to follow. I love that Peter kept trying despite his mistakes. I love that he kept doing his best regardless of his weaknesses and shortcomings. I know that even though I have a lot of fears swarming around for a number of reasons, as I center my heart on Christ, all will be well. It doesn't mean things will be easy, but I know that I can do anything with his help. I'm so grateful for the love, hope, and healing he has already provided me in my life and I know that with his help I will continue to progress and learn while I am here on earth.

I love you so much and hope you have a great day!
Emily



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Emily, for yet again saying exactly what I needed to hear! You amaze me <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always sharing your thoughts, Miss Railee. You rock :)

    ReplyDelete