I had a lovely study today, focusing on the talk, "Is It Still Wonderful To You?" by Bishop Gerald Causse. Throughout this talk, Causse asks the question, what are we seeing? Are we still looking at the gospel from an astonished stand point? Or are we past feeling and unable to recognize miracles when they come our way?
While reading through this talk, I was impressed to ask myself the following questions:
What am I seeing right now?
What am I failing to see?
Am I seeing things as they really are or as I want them to be?
How can I tell what is reality?
Am I still looking for miracles daily or am I content with what I have already received?
Am I actively seeking the companionship of the spirit?
And (this one's from Causse) can I still hear, see, feel, and marvel?
To answer quite honestly, I am not quite as involved in these areas of my life as I'd like to be. But I know that I can change that. Isn't that just the best. God is good. Yes indeed.
Causse talks about the group of people in the Book of Mormon who eventually numb themselves to the spirit and previous revelations they received because they were not continuing to see the gospel through what he calls, "new eyes". They had seen the miraculous sign of Christ's birth, a star that caused the night to remain bright as day, saving their lives from the wicked men who wanted the sign to be false, but even after this miracle, some of these people, "began to be less and less astonished at a sign or a wonder from heaven...and began to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen."
What in the world? Why do we do that as humans? I know I definitely fall into that pattern time and time again, but why? I don't think there is just one answer- but I do know that along with the suggestions Bishop Causse states (which I shall list shortly), there are many ways to overcome this tendency to disregard what we have experienced and know to be true. Rationalizing? Yeah, that's what I'll call it for now. Any hows, here are 3 main points that Causse shares to help us see the gospel through new eyes and continue to be astonished by the daily miracles.
1. Never tire of discovering/rediscovering any truth of the gospel
2. Anchor your faith in plain and simple truths
3. Invite, seek, and cherish the companionship of the Holy Ghost
Along with Causse's points, I feel gratitude is a huge way to constantly feel the presence of the spirit and maintain a sense of awe and astonishment at the gospel in my life. I also remember my mission president bringing this topic up half way through my mission. He used the story of Ammon- from the time he defended the king's flock, all the way up until all the Lamanites were converted through his preaching. Their reaction to the miracles he was able to perform was "and they were exceedingly astonished." President Anderson reminded us that our role (at the time as representatives of Christ, and right now, as disciples of Christ) is to provide an environment in which the spirit can astonish those around us. And that cannot happen if we are not having astonishing experiences ourselves.
I know that what Bishop Causse says about the spirit is 100% true: "When we have the spirit with us, our spiritual senses are sharpened and our memory is kindled so we cannot forget the miracles and signs we have witnessed." Living a life consistent with the teachings of Christ allows us to feel the constant comfort, guidance, and truth of the spirit. I know that regardless of the mistakes we make along the way, the weaknesses that may feel like they are holding us back, and the opposition we may face, as we give God our best, he will allow us to see the world through his eyes. Heavenly eyes.
And as we take the time to marvel at the gospel individually and on a personal basis with God and Christ, we will be able to better share the sweet fruit that comes from living the gospel.. Kinda an Enos situation. It was only when he had his own experience with the atoning power of Christ that he had the desire and ability to help his homies, the Nephites, and his enemies. What a guy. As we seek to have personal experiences where we are astonished with simple and plain truths of the gospel, we will be better equipped to help those around us, strive to be our best selves, and be his hands while here on the earth. I am so grateful for the ability to welcome the spirit more fully into my life as I adjust my heart and actions to the path Christ has set for us all. I know that God is so proud of the progress we are both making and I am so grateful to be learning and growing with you. Thank you for all you are, miss Rachel. I sure do love you!
Love,
Emily
Wonderful post today. It is so true that we need to continue to marvel. Sometimes instead I'm just frustrated that I find myself at the same truth: "Really?! I thought I learned that already." But we never should stop learning. And true life lessons always lead back to the core principles of faith, repentance, obedience, the spirit, and enduring to the end. Simple. We just need those things ingrained in our hearts. The only way to do that is through repeated hard work, purging, accepting, letting go, fighting, all the above and more. And I, like you, have seen how we can use what we are learning, marvelling about, to bless the lives of others. I felt God gave me that opportunity this last Sunday when I was able to teach a lesson and pick my topic. I could put words to what I'm learning and help other people discover the same things and feel the love/hope/peace I felt upon learning those things. God is so good. I just have to hold onto that when I'm afraid as I move farther away from my comfort zones into this new phase that I don't know how to define. We can do it!
ReplyDelete