Saturday, November 22, 2014

Take it to God First

Only if we receive something directly from God can we know anything for sure.  That's what I love about what God says about Martin Harris in Doctrine and Covenants Section 5.  He can know for himself, obtain a testimony of the plates, if he will humble himself sufficiently before the Lord, humble himself in fervent prayer and faith, with a sincere heart.  Only then will God let him see the things he wants to see.  If he doesn't humble himself before God and receive a testimony from God's hand, he will fall in transgression.

There is a lot of great stuff to unpack in this chapter.  But what hit me is the power and protection of a testimony.  Martin Harris wanted one, but he was struggling to go to the correct source to get it.  He wanted to see the plates to gain a testimony.  God wanted to show him that only through going to Him could he gain that testimony.

God wants us to receive answers directly from Him.  I know that in my own life, the answers that I have received directly from God, recognizing and knowing they came from Him, have gotten me through darkness, trial, and confusion.

In Section 5, God tells Joseph to wait until God tells Him to do something and God will give the means to accomplish what He tells him to do.  Joseph just has to be faithful in keeping the commandments of God, and he will be saved.  Isn't it all so simple?  We just go directly to the source and receive answers from God, the One who knows everything.  And then we just follow through with what He tells us to do.  We don't even have to worry, because the One who never lies promises us that He'll provide everything we need to do what He asks of us.

Well, unfortunately, it isn't quite so easy and simple when it comes to human beans. At least this bean.

What keeps us from doing what God wants us to do?

Martin Harris wanted to see the plates to believe that Joseph Smith was called to do the work and that they actually existed.  Don't we do the same thing?  That way of thinking is quite logical when it comes to the world.  But, of course, God knows better.

I know for me that I've had many moments of questions.  I tend to ask a lot of them.  But when I start getting impatient for answers, or when I'm questioning in fear instead of faith, I tend to go first to every source but God to get an answer.  My friends and family, books, music, whatever other great tools there are to figure things out.  And those things aren't bad!  Was it bad that Martin Harris wanted to see the plates?  No!  God even told Him that if he humbled himself, he could see them.  The problem was that he wasn't following the pattern set by God.  The pattern that leads to true knowledge and personal peace.  Only an answer from God can protect us from the storm.  Only an answer from God can motivate us to maintain hope even in the darkest of times.  Only an answer from God can give us sufficient faith to move forward.  We've got to take it to God first.  Then we can use all those great tools as God tends to work through the things or people we have around us to give us our answers.

I testify of the power of prayer.  I know that God wants to guide us.  He wants to give us answers.  Maybe we won't receive them in the time we wish or in the way we wish, but we can trust God and His guidance and especially His love.  He wants us to succeed, and prayer is the only way to be successful in life.  I also know that God is merciful.  This entire week that fact seems to pop up in my mind every time I do my personal study.  Its because I need it.  Although I'm kind of struggling, meaning feeling like I'm in a spiritual battle, exhausted to the point where I have to fight even to pray sometimes, God knows me and loves me and forgives me.  I just have to keep plugging along, trying to open my heart to Him even when it feels like every time I pray, one of those tongs is around my heart, trying to shut it.  The most important thing is that we keep fighting those tongs and don't give up.  Because I know that God gives me everything I need to do the right thing and to get where I need to be.  So what need I fear?

I love you,

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Holy Moly! That's cray cray how my study today matched up with this one so well about that personal revelation. It sure is crucial here in this life. Yes indeedie doodles ;)

    I loved the post- keep up the great work!!

    Emmaline

    ReplyDelete