Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Purpose of God Cannot Be Frustrated

The works, designs, and purposes of God cannot be frustrated.  Only the work of man can be frustrated.

In Doctrine and Covenants Section 3, Joseph Smith has just lost the manuscript.  God tells him it is because of his transgression and that he feared man over God.

Joseph's ability to translate and be a part of God's work was frustrated for a time.  I'm sure Joseph felt frustrated with himself.  But God's work continued on.  Towards the end of the chapter, He asserts His promises that all people will come to know of the Savior through the Book of Mormon.  Just because Joseph let his fear overtake him, does not mean that the promises of God will not come to pass.

What does all this mean?

To me, it means that I can trust in the work of God.

What is God's work?
To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Part of that plan was the Book of Mormon.  Part of that plan is Joseph Smith working as an instrument in God's hands.  Part of that plan is my own personal salvation.

Did Joseph Smith's moment of weakness keep him from eternal life?  Did it keep the work of God from moving forward?  No!  Yes, he was chastised, and he did have to repent.  But God gave him a second chance (and more).

So do my moments of weakness have to keep me from eternal life?  Do they have to impede the plan of God for me?  No!  I may need to be reminded and chastised, but God will give me the opportunity to repent.

Sometimes I find myself fearing man over God.  Sometimes I find myself making mistakes.  Sometimes I find myself not putting God first in my life like I should.  But does that mean all hope is lost?  Never!  That is what I love about the first verse of D&C 3.  The work of God cannot be frustrated.  We are a part of that work.  If we are constantly repenting or turning to God, our work and our personal plans will not be frustrated.  They may be delayed, but God already knows what will happen and He has a way to get us back on track.

The only thing that frustrates our own work is when we become prideful, stop listening to the counsels of God and follow our own wills.  When we let fear overcome us.  When we fear man over God.  When we let fear replace our faith.

BUT...

"Remember, God is merciful; therefore, repent of that which thou hast done which is contrary to the commandment I gave you, and thou art still chosen, and art again called to the work."    

Our mistakes do not have to keep us from reaching our divine potentials.  Despite the mistakes, we can still be chosen!  All we have to do is repent.

I am so grateful for the gift of repentance in my life.  It is such a comfort to know that I can trust in the plan of God, not only on a large scale, but on a smaller, personal scale.  I let myself get so afraid to make mistakes.  But today I realized that my mistakes don't have to keep me from reaching my divine potential because of repentance.  I don't have to be afraid to do something that would change my eternal potential forever.  Even in my weakness and though I make mistakes, repentance can restore me to being "chosen" again.  All is not lost.  The theme of mercy has been following me around.  I think I'm finally learning how to better apply it to myself.  It is life changing!

Well, I love you and thanks for your light!
Rachel    

1 comment:

  1. Oh ho ho, I remember this section all too well :) From my own experience reading it, God sure knows how to give you a spiritual slap on the face when you need it- and He also knows when you give an encouraging pat on the back when in need of some love ;)

    I really do love the gift of repentance- it is such a beautiful concept and a hope filled truth that we are allowed to change, even if we gave into fear at one point. Fear can be such a paralyzing and devastating tool used to stunt our progression, but it is incredible to me that through faith in Jesus christ- just believing in him and being willing to act on that belief, we have the power to make any change necessary to bring us back into God's light. I know that you are figuring out where you are and what you need to be doing right now. I am so proud of you for pushing through even when it gets crazy! Keep it up gurrl!

    ReplyDelete