I found a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants today that I LOVE. I feel like I say something similar in every blog post, but it feels good to find something that clicks with you during personal study. I've been struggling to concentrate on anything be it school work, scripture study, prayers, the present moment, everything. But I know that God sees our effort, and even though we sometimes don't do things perfectly, well, we never do things perfectly, that He accepts what we give. I feel like this week I haven't been giving Him much. Meaning I've been distracted in my personal study and personal prayers. However, I have been trying and fighting and working. He accepts what I give as long as I don't give up. Although my personal prayers and studies have been a bit distracted, I'm still doing them. And I also am trying to follow what the Spirit tells me to do which has given me some good opportunities to help people. Anyways, the reason why I'm saying all of this is because I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this. We all get in moments like this. And we can be super hard on ourselves thinking, "Why don't I feel like praying? Why don't I feel excited to read scriptures today? Why can't I concentrate on the things that matter most?" When we should remember that it doesn't matter as long as we push through it. As long as we are obedient even when it is hard. Like a runner who practices when her muscles hurt. A pianist that practices even when she is not motivated. Those are the people who are going to go far. I feel it is the same for us spiritually. We can do it.
Back to the scripture:
Doctrine and Covenants 1:28
And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time.
Humility is the key to true strength. It is the key to receive God's blessings whether that is knowledge or something else. We must always acknowledge our dependence on God and recognize His hand in our lives. I don't think that God gets mad at us when it is hard for us to find Him or recognize the blessings as long as we are trying to find them. Looking for them is the most important part. We may miss something in our mortal tendency towards blindness, but I know that God appreciates our efforts.
I guess today my point is; BE MERCIFUL TO YOURSELF. Sometimes we spend so much time looking at what we aren't doing or how inadequate what we do is, that we don't realize how good we are doing. I feel like God feels happier when someone obeys Him in the hardest moment, than when someone obeys Him in the easiest moment. Of course He is happy for both, but I don't think He is thinking during our hardest moments, "Rachel, you could be concentrating more in your personal study. Come on!" He is thinking, "Rachel, I know it is tough right now and I'm proud that you are even reading at all. That even when your mind wanders that you turn it back on track and keep reading, keep studying. That is what counts. That turning." If we are trying to turn our hearts to God, no matter how imperfect that may be, He is happy!
I know God loves us and is merciful. We need to be like Him by treating ourselves with the same mercy. He doesn't want us to attack ourselves. He wants us to be like Him which means loving, merciful, and accepting, especially to ourselves.
Love,
Rachel
Holy moly!
ReplyDeleteI loved this study!! And man oh man, isn't D&C awesome? Sometimes I could spend days just reading in there....anyhowsers, I really loved how you stressed the importance of understanding that it's not what you do, but it's who you become that God is concerned about. He's not sitting up there, just waiting to go "Ha! You forgot your scripture study today- that's ten de-merits for you!" Rather, he is excited when we learn something that draws us closer to Him, or something that allows us to treat ourselves, as well as His other children with greater respect and love. I sure you do love you missy! Thanks for the wonderful insights!
Love,
Emily