Tuesday, December 29, 2015

What Shall I do, That I May Inherit Eternal Life?

Loved my study today! I was asking myself why it's so hard for me to maintain the progress I've made and stick to the goals I have. I know that I have desires to be close to God and that there are specific commandments, counsel, and guidance from the spirit that I have received and that I know to be true- yet I still find myself falling short again and again.
So the biggest question I asked today was, what lack I yet? What am I missing that makes it so hard for me to feel like I am doing my best?
My answer came as I read in Alma 22 and Mark 10 this fine day: it all comes down to the condition of my heart.

Both of these chapters include characters that want to draw closer to Christ. In Alma chapter 22, we have King Lamoni's father, expressing his desire to "give away all [he] possesses in order to come closer to God and inherit eternal life. In Mark 10, we follow the story of the rich young ruler, who approaches Christ and asks what more he needs to do to also inherit eternal life. Although there are many similarities between the two, there are also many characteristics that set them apart and ultimately determine their decisions.

Similarities:

  • Both have high social status/power in their societies
  • Both are extremely well off, rich, taken care of
  • Both express a desire to take action to come closer to Christ
  • Both seek out a priesthood leader for counsel/guidance
    • Rich ruler= Christ
    • Lamoni's father= Aaron
Differences
  • Lamoni grew up without the gospel/commandments
  • Rich young ruler grew up living the gospel
  • Lamoni offers his kingdom and possessions immediately
  • Rich young ruler asks what he needs to do, but does not offer any solution
    • And when given an answer, is unwilling to follow through
  • Condition of the heart
    • Rich ruler= unwilling to let go of his possessions in order to draw close to God
    • Lamoni's dad= committed to changing his heart, giving away possessions
God and Christ didn't really want the young man's possessions in Mark 10. They already own everything anyway- they've given us this earth, all the objects and such found on it- but they do not own our agency, which includes our hearts. They will not control our actions or force us to do anything against our will. The deepest desire of their hearts is for us to willingly follow the example of Christ so we can return to our Father in Heaven. The young ruler was unable to follow Christ, not because he was rich, but because He was not willing to put God first. 
Contrast that with Lamoni's father, and we see a man that not only offers his physical possessions to know God, but is willing to fully humble himself and follow the direction of a priesthood leader and completely change his behavior.

What causes that desire to change behavior? True doctrine understood. Aaron teaches Lamoni's father the Plan of Salvation, and he understands that without the help of Christ, he has no way to return to God. He also realizes his need to change, or his need for repentance. Once he recognizes that his actions will no longer be acceptable if he wants to return to God's presence, he asks what he must do to change. I love that. And I love that he could start where he was. He didn't have to wait until someone else was ready. He didn't have to hide away or keep himself from Aaron out of shame- he was given the chance, by Christ, to change immediately, without penalty.

I know that I forget the bigger picture a lot, and I often find it difficult to remember why I do the things God asks of me. But I am so grateful for the reminders he sends me, through the spirit, scripture study, and  influence of those around me that He is there, He loves me, and He wants the very best for me. I know that's true for each one of us and I know that I have the power to do anything through Christ.

I love you and hope you have a great week!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment