In chapter 3 of Acts, Peter and John come across a man lame since birth. This man spends his time begging for money and food in front of the temple to earn a living. As Peter and John draw closer, they tell him to look at them and focus on what they say. He turns his attention to them, "expecting to receive something of them," (5) which I'm guessing means he expects money from them to help him get food later on.
Instead of providing this man with what he thinks he needs, Peter and John give him something far greater: the ability to walk. This man has never had the capacity to walk, and I'm guessing, in turn, has not had the opportunity to rely on his own strength to care for himself. Peter tells the man he has no money to give, "but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk." (6) What happens next is incredible, "And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, leaping, and praising God." (6-8)
What just happened here? This man, who has not ever had the ability to walk has been changed in an instant. His whole life has been influenced by this weakness, from not being able to get himself where he needs to go on his own, to not being able to support himself (hence the begging in front of the temple). Instead of giving him the money he wants to buy himself food and help him survive, Peter and John provide a way for him to provide for himself by granting him the ability to walk. I feel like this story is a beautiful way of demonstrating Christ's capacity to turn our weaknesses into strengths.
Without Christ's help, we are like this man, unable to walk on our own and limited in our resources and ability to progress. However, with Christ's help, we are granted the capacity to walk, or to have our weaknesses turned into strengths. Looking at walking symbolically, there is so much power that comes with what that entails. When we have the ability to walk, we can choose our path- whether we take steps to draw closer to God, or whether we will choose to walk away from him. When we are unable to walk (again, symbolically) we are stuck and our progression is hindered.
I love that Christ wants us to walk on our own. He wants us to willingly choose to follow him, to give our weaknesses to him and willingly live in a way that we can return to the presence of God.
Great study- I'm very grateful for what I learned today.
I hope you have a great week!
Much love,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment